VoIP

Swimmer

By hit i meant that I tried to access the phone line

right, we have to complete the network first.

You have an open port ( connection ) on the first router, no matter the number, just note it, connect the first router to this port via cat5, make sure you put the cat5 into the " internet " port on the voip router.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All my ports on the linksys routers are taken except for the internet connection port,

The voip cable is already hooked to one of the ports.

i think I might be missing something here

ok,  the " voip cable" you refer to, should be dangling free right now , correct?

no everything is hooked up the way it was when we started. The cat 5 cable I used from one of the computers to access the voip routers is hooked back up the way it was in the beginning.

I'll try to explain

I have hook ups in different places in the room that all go back to a central station by the routers. The computer I used to access the voip routers is plugged back into one of the distant connections (for lack of better wording) which then is wired to the central station connection. Maybe what I need to do is unhook that connection from the linksys router and hook the voip router to that

All my voip cables are hooked up the way they were

See, we weren't to that point of hooking things up the way they were,  the whole point here is to re configure the network so the voip routers are sprouted off the first router, after the modem, then set the port on the first router that the voip routers are connected to to give them QOS over the rest of the network so you have better sound quality.

So,  whatever way you can, in the most simple terms, explain to me how your network is hooked up.  First you have the modem,  ...............Please take it from there.

Yes

First I have the modem and the cat5 cable goes to the internet connection of the 1st linksys router, then on port 1 of that router I have a cat 5 cable that goes to port 1 of the 2nd linksys router

Lets stop there for now and you can tell me if the 2nd linksys router now has priority or if we should hook things up differently

Yes

First I have the modem and the cat5 cable goes to the internet connection of the 1st linksys router, then on port 1 of that router I have a cat 5 cable that goes to port 1 of the 2nd linksys router

Lets stop there for now and you can tell me if the 2nd linksys router now has priority or if we should hook things up differently

Nothing has priority  unless otherwise set in the router itself.

So should I take the cable from the 1st port of the first router and hook it up to the voip router and then link that router to the next voip router and then back to the linksys router?

You had it tagged until the end  : )    Take  a cable from the first router ( port whatever , or could be open with out unhooking the second router), into the first voip router ( into the internet port blue), then a cable from the first voip router ( port yellow ) into the second voip router ( internet port blue )

You are going to have to restart the network from the modem out, in sequence. Very important that it is done in the order in which they are connected.  Kill the power to all, then wait 1 minute, then plug the modem in, wait until the lights are on as normal, then the first router, wait til lights are on as normal. Then voip routers , you can go directly to the other devices after starting voips , no need to wait.

Don't be gone to long now.  :haha: :haha: