dial-up vs satellite in gaming

knightof206

hi im a gamer and i have dial-up cuz i live in the country which has its good and bad  the internet is bad and i am avalible for satellite but i dont know which is faster for gaming i was thinking dial-up cuz a site said it takes a half a sec to tranfer somthing on satellite so i was wondering shich si better for gaming

If you're looking into sattelite, forget Direcway. Try Wildblue. I've heard that their pings are around 500-700 ms which is a hell of a lot better than with my Direcway (850 ms is considered fast for me).

Post your question here and see if the Wildblue experts can give you a good answer (not spamming)

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/wildblue

but playing with a 700 ms ping is still pretty difficult. consider this. you see someone stepping out from behind a corner in a fps. even without the reaction time you will need to aim and shoot, your inputs to aim and shoot don't register until 1.4 seconds have passed. (0.7 to see the person, 0.7 to send commands back) alot can happen in that time. i guess there is some games like rts games that don't require a fast ping, but dialup will probably serve you better. and i know people will complain about me even mentioning it, isdn may be available to you even in the country. gives 2 voice lines or 64 or 128 k data, and that's real, not like a 56 k dialup that gives you maybe 30 or so. decent pings too. the sat connection really is only good for faster dl'ing/surfing.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on dial up, and play RTCW all the time...if you have only those 2 choices, then go dial up...because your ping will be better...I average 250 ping...not to mention Sat is going to cost you tons more...but the bottom line is this...BOTH suck for on line gaming... :-|