FTP SERVER questions

GIXXERGUY6

I am thinking of running small ftp server via my 80gig hard drive, I have 6.0/768 service and I am using Abyss web server. I have tested my upload speed numerous times and I get anything from 780-1004 normal is about 884 and I test about 7 times a day. :haha:

but when I upload for the tests and to people pulling info I watching my BANDWIDTH MONITOR PRO and it shows current upload of 108-115kB/s BUT WITH THE 768 Service I am wondering why I don't get there? or at least closer. is it cuz the program? hard drive, windows settings?

can anyone help me out.

thanks.

I am running a small ftp server via my 80gig hard drive, I have 6.0/768 adelphia service and I am using Abyss web server. I have tested my upload speed numerous times and I get anything from 780-1004 normal is about 884 and I test about 7 times a day. :haha:

but when I upload for the tests and to people pulling info I watching my BANDWIDTH MONITOR PRO and it shows current upload of 108-115kB/s BUT WITH THE 768 Service I am wondering why I don't get there? or at least closer. is it cuz the program? hard drive, windows settings?

can anyone help me out.

thanks.

your right there 768 kbps is 93.75 kB/s so you get more

a bit is a one or a zero, while a byte is an eight bit block. one bit can have the value 1 or 0, one byte can have the values 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, .., 253, 254, 255.

the speedtest is in kilobits, it is also displayed in kilobytes underneath. i'm sure your bandwidthmonitor displays it in kilobytes. and since one byte is eight bits you multiply the bytes by eight. (or divide to go the other way. the notation is kb for kilobits and kB for kilobytes. the kilo sounds like the metric multiplier of 1000, but it is in fact 1024, since we are dealing with binary values. just don't even ask, that's just the way it is.

a mega is not 1000 * 1000 but rather 1024 * 1024. giga is the same times 1024. tera again. and so forth. (sneakily your hd manufacturer will advertise with gigabytes in multiples of 1000 while formatting it of course gives it multiples of 1024. hence it looks to be smaller than advertised.)

so, basically, you are slightly over your cap.

a bit is a one or a zero, while a byte is an eight bit block. one bit can have the value 1 or 0, one byte can have the values 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, .., 253, 254, 255.

the speedtest is in kilobits, it is also displayed in kilobytes underneath. i'm sure your bandwidthmonitor displays it in kilobytes. and since one byte is eight bits you multiply the bytes by eight. (or divide to go the other way. the notation is kb for kilobits and kB for kilobytes. the kilo sounds like the metric multiplier of 1000, but it is in fact 1024, since we are dealing with binary values. just don't even ask, that's just the way it is.

a mega is not 1000 * 1000 but rather 1024 * 1024. giga is the same times 1024. tera again. and so forth. (sneakily your hd manufacturer will advertise with gigabytes in multiples of 1000 while formatting it of course gives it multiples of 1024. hence it looks to be smaller than advertised.)

so, basically, you are slightly over your cap.

woot woot i understood absolutely positively almost none of that lol.

I know about file sizes and stuff,I just hate using my brain, and I like asking questions lol but how am I slightly above my cap? I mean what is the cap?

recap so you're saying that my uploads of 107-115kb/s is as much as i am going to get cuz it equates out to my upload cap from my ISP of 768?

it's late I'm going to bed I'll think about this on an empty head tomorrow(wait not empty head, a fresh mind)

thanks for the previous comments and the future ones as well.

lol I get it now I was just tired and retarded lastnight lol

yeah that would make sense that i am above the cap cuz it's 768 and all the tests I have been doing lately have been reading 824-1009 uploads average being 894-915

pretty good i would say lol. thanks to van buren's winxp cable 6000/768 tweak settings.

GIXXERGUY6 you do know that on adelphia your not allowed to run a server of any kind. If you get cough they will shut off your connection. If they see alot of uploading connections opened they will suspend your account for 24hrs the first time and then 30day the next time. Just be carefull do not allow alot of people to download at once on that connection. because you will loose your internet.

GIXXERGUY6 you do know that on adelphia your not allowed to run a server of any kind. If you get cough they will shut off your connection. If they see alot of uploading connections opened they will suspend your account for 24hrs the first time and then 30day the next time. Just be carefull do not allow alot of people to download at once on that connection. because you will loose your internet.

question on that. If you have bittorrent and you have alot of seeding torrents do they shut you down...even with priemier package?