Battery Life

jkandra

This is what I found on Batterys from HP.

I guess the battery is only to last 2-4hrs.

HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario Notebook PCs - Battery Types and Specifications

This document provides comparison information about various battery technologies available for notebook computers.

Li-ON: (Lithium Ion) 

Fast Charge Time  2-4h (Hours) 

Self Discharge Per Month  8% (Room Temperature) 

Cell Voltage  3.6v (Nominal) 

Operating Temperature  -20 to 60C (Fahrenheit -4 to 140F) 

Maintenance  None (To achieve max. service life) 

Charging Cycles  1200 (Average Service Life) 

Memory Effect  No 

NiCd: (Nickel Cadmium) 

Fast Charge Time  1h (Hours) 

Self Discharge Per Month  15% (Room Temperature) 

Cell Voltage  1.25v (Nominal) 

Operating Temperature  -40 to 60C (Fahrenheit -40 to 140F) 

Maintenance  30 Days (To achieve max. service life) 

Charging Cycles  500-2000 (Average Service Life) 

Memory Effect  Yes 

NiMH: (Nickel-Metal Hydride) 

Fast Charge Time  2-4h (Hours) 

Self Discharge Per Month  30% (Room Temperature) 

Cell Voltage  1.25v (Nominal) 

Operating Temperature  -40 to 60C (Fahrenheit -40 to 140F) 

Maintenance  90 Days (To achieve max. service life) 

Charging Cycles  500 (Average Service Life) 

Memory Effect  Yes 

It depends on your laptop and what you're doing.

If you're gaming while on battery, then it'll of course run out fast.

I get 3-3.5 hours on mine (with brightness at level 2 out of 7 and wifi on).

mine is a 17in w/a GeForce 6800go, which are both pretty taxing on the battery.  Oh, and its a 9 cell battery.  The Pentium M is probably what is allowing me to get decent battery life though.

But yeah, most laptops generally have anywhere from 2 to 7 or 8 hours of battery life (this is under the assumption that it's not being used for gaming or CAD rendering or something of the sort)

Some manufacturers have like 12 cell and 16 cell batteries too, so if you want more batt life, you might wanna find out if your manufacturer has higher capacity batteries

I'm using a Compac EVO 610, and have a battery life of about 4 hours as a maximum, and that is with word, excel and filemaker open.

Sometimes with older batteries, they will loose some capacity, and if you think the battery is really dead, get a ziplock bag and put the battery unit it there, and put the whole in the freezer for a few hours. You would be surprised how much the things improve with a temperature reset. (My battery went from 45 minute capacity to 4 hours again)

When they say 2-4 hours what they really mean, but don't say usually is this 4 hours doing basic computing such as email, and internet. Even then your only likely to get 2, and a half 3 hours tops, 2 hours if you are doing intense things like playing cd's video editing ect even then don't expect much. battery life has always been a real issue when it comes to laptops.

I'm using a Compac EVO 610, and have a battery life of about 4 hours as a maximum, and that is with word, excel and filemaker open.

Sometimes with older batteries, they will loose some capacity, and if you think the battery is really dead, get a ziplock bag and put the battery unit it there, and put the whole in the freezer for a few hours. You would be surprised how much the things improve with a temperature reset. (My battery went from 45 minute capacity to 4 hours again)

Does freezing a laptop battery really work? Right now I have an old one that only holds about 25 minutes and was about to buy a new one but then I saw this. What type of battery were you freezing, and is there a certain type that you should, or shouldnt put in the freezer?