how to change from usb to ethernet

fattymcbluff

you have cigarrettes that can install modems? can you send me a pack? i need some gophers to help me repai/upgrade comps.

shut down comp. power down modem. unplug usb. plug in network cable. both ends. maybe a crossover. check documentation on that. start the modem. wait for it to sync. if it doesn't sync, place it in deeper water. power up the pc. see what happens. report back.

have a nice day.

what surprises me is two things:

1. why would an installer go through the trouble of hooking up usb and then installing drivers instead of just hooking up ethernet and being done?

2. being readers of this site why did you let the installer anywhere near the modem/comp holding a usb cable and driver cd?

the only reason i could think of for an installer doing that (besides being a complete idiot) is that the isp has them do it to cripple the connection to keep the user from using up too much bandwidth on the line.

what surprises me is two things:

1. why would an installer go through the trouble of hooking up usb and then installing drivers instead of just hooking up ethernet and being done?

2. being readers of this site why did you let the installer anywhere near the modem/comp holding a usb cable and driver cd?

the only reason i could think of for an installer doing that (besides being a complete idiot) is that the isp has them do it to cripple the connection to keep the user from using up too much bandwidth on the line.

Maybe the installer was "special".

OK. Here we go.

1.) Be sure that the motherboard drivers for the Ethernet port are installed (if on-board). If through a PCI slot, be sure the drivers are installed as well. You don't have to uninstall the USB drivers if you don't want to as they won't interfere with your Ethernet connection. USB/Ethernet connections don't cancel each other out or anything. They can work at the same time on the same system as long as you're using two different modems (my setup).

2.) The on-board Ethernet port will need to be enabled through the BIOS before it can even function. Be sure that's the case.

3.) Look inside of your Network Connections folder and see if the Ethernet connection is displayed. If you don't see it, the drivers are probably not installed for it. The USB connection will be in there also, so make sure it's the connection you're looking for.

How to get there: If the "My Network Places" icon is on your desktop, right-click/properties to get to the Network Connections folder. If not, go through Control Panel and double click the Network Connections icon.

We'll pick up from there when you report back.

ok i did that and now i cant even connect with the usb :cry:

What exactly did you do? Install motherboard drivers/enabled the Ethernet port through BIOS?

EDIT: In Step 1 of my previous post, I want to clarify. The USB and Ethernet connections can run together on the same system as long as you're using two different modems. :)I don't want it to be received as an individual can use both options on the same modem at the same time. :) That wouldn't work as the Ethernet connection would override the USB anyhow.

You didn't do that did you?

You probably just need the drivers, if its an onboard(and you have enabled it in bios), either goto the manufactures site, or find the disk that came with the motherboard...

Check your device manager for anything with a Yellow Question Mark...See if there is anything under "Network adapters" or possibly "other devices"...Your usb device should be in there too..

EDIT: In Step 1 of my previous post, I want to clarify. The USB and Ethernet connections can run together on the same system as long as you're using two different modems. :)I don't want it to be received as an individual can use both options on the same modem at the same time. :) That wouldn't work as the Ethernet connection would override the USB anyhow.

You didn't do that did you?

I wonder if anyone read it and then went and tried it lol...