Building My Own PC...Tips Please

wyantm06

Ok all went well. I have no clue on how to do the bios so I skipped it for now. I am installing XP pro now, but formatting is going SLOOWWWW. Could it be because I have both dvd burner and hdd set to CS no one Master and oneCS?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldnt really matter

http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS.html

What you have to watch out for is that you have the maximum transfer mode enabled for both your hard drive and your dvd drive.  To make sure you are starting off on the right foot, make sure you are using an ATA133 IDE cable instead of a ATA100 cable - the main physical difference between two is that the 133 IDE cable has a lot more wires than a 100 ;)

Also, right click on my computer, go to properties, click on the hardware tab, click the device manager, expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers tree and right click on each of the items - go to properties and check that the highest possible transfer mode is selected - also note the current transfer mode on both your hard drive and dvd drive

It wouldnt really matter

http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS.html

What you have to watch out for is that you have the maximum transfer mode enabled for both your hard drive and your dvd drive.  To make sure you are starting off on the right foot, make sure you are using an ATA133 IDE cable instead of a ATA100 cable - the main physical difference between two is that the 133 IDE cable has a lot more wires than a 100 ;)

Also, right click on my computer, go to properties, click on the hardware tab, click the device manager, expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers tree and right click on each of the items - go to properties and check that the highest possible transfer mode is selected - also note the current transfer mode on both your hard drive and dvd drive

I am using a the IDE that came with my mobo. I just got done transfering files from a wireless connect and it took 90 minutes to do 3 Gig. Is there a way I can test my transfer speed?

EDIT: What do you think how long it would take to transfer 8 Gig over? Because I set my laptop to a wired connect now and it took 18 min to transfer 8 Gig. Sound right?

wyantm06, you have just changed my mind totally!

I had entertained the thought of building my next computer, and after watching you posts, and other posts in this forum, well no f_ck i_g way! I was stronly teasing the thought. Thanks for the lesson! I am glad you got through it, but I would either have had to take it to a geek to finish it, or used it for shotgun practice!! Especially your posts! And I did not even take these classes your are taking. Again thanks.

I had entertained the thought of building my next computer, and after watching you posts, and other posts in this forum, well no f_ck i_g way! I was stronly teasing the thought. Thanks for the lesson! I am glad you got through it, but I would either have had to take it to a geek to finish it, or used it for shotgun practice!! Especially your posts! And I did not even take these classes your are taking. Again thanks.

ill build it for you for a reasonable fee :) - choose your parts and ill take care of everything

ill build it for you for a reasonable fee :) - choose your parts and ill take care of everything

i will probably take you up on that, in about 2 years when i feel mine starting to outdate. Only 6 months old. "emachines T6522". Would have been nice to waited a couple of months to have double DVD burner though. Don't really need one though.

No dude I didn't really have any major issues at all. I just get frustrated a lot. Still do make a PC. Whatever you do don't buy a PC already built again unless you know that is what you want. That's the best part about building your own PC, you know what you put in it and you make sure it is the right hardware for you.

I can tear down a house,except wiring and furnace. I can tear down my 1965 mustang, except wiring. I now(thanks to testmy.net) can pretty much operate and diagnose most problems on a computer, as long as I don't have to go past safe mode. No hex key etc.. But I would find it a lot easier to purchase and upgrade with a warranty. They always have a 24 hr help phone number. One of you may not want a 1:00 AM phone call for a silly question about I forgot to plug something in. Or I ran total recovery and I forgot to plug my mouse in and now it is not responding.

The internet is always open and your bound to get awnser if you look hard enught no there might b a problem where u cant access the internet say u got blue screen of deatgh or youe ethernet card is down. But u would mostly know what u did to get to that point beacuse u installed the hardwareand it is up to you to fix it. besides 1800 numbers are not that helpful anyway

Computer manufacturer helplines are really pure trash - one can find any information that is needed to fix the computer through a search engine - ...you can even find specific model manuals that will tell you everything about the computer you have

The only reason I can see one buying tech support along with a good warranty service is if you are buying a laptop - it can be a pain in the butt to fix a laptop problem, especially if it has to be disassembled - thats where at home service/replacement programs come in

...anyway, im a little off topic here

Computer manufacturer helplines are really pure trash - one can find any information that is needed to fix the computer through a search engine - ...you can even find specific model manuals that will tell you everything about the computer you have

The only reason I can see one buying tech support along with a good warranty service is if you are buying a laptop - it can be a pain in the butt to fix a laptop problem, especially if it has to be disassembled - thats where at home service/replacement programs come in

...anyway, im a little off topic here

Actually all that comes with the purchase of the computer for 1 year. It helped me a couple of times, before I found testmy.net. For the general public it is not a bad deal, as long as their response is not "just do a restore" or "I guess you will have to do a total recovery,WTF" Otherwise they are ok.