Sign in to follow this  
breadboi

Power Supply

I was thinking about getting a new power supply (500W Antec). My currently works, but fans die out sometimes(work sometimes, doesn't sometimes) and burning smell(rarly, but happens). I can use it for now, but I know its time is up. I was wondering when buying a powersupply what to look for and a good cost.

i mean i guess i could see something get destroyed in my pc soon, i have a dell with factory psu, and i added a 6600, and 3 extra hds, pci card, its also got dvd burner, and seperate dvd rom

i think its 250watt, been running for 2+ yr i think :) ownt

If you are getting a burning smell, I'd stop using that PSU right away. You do not want to fool around with electricity. Not that it would catch fire, worse case, but you could fry something in your system at the very least.

The burning smell comes only when the fans fail for a while, for some reasons the fans don't spin until I give them a little push, and from their it runs fine with fans and everything working. Fans just don't go on startup and sometimes it makes a loud noise at startup.

Heh... many ways.  It could short circuit and end up frying various parts, send a current surge or pulses through the computer, just to name a few...

Sign in to follow this