Hi From Coventry Uk

VinceEdwards

Hi,

My connection is with Virgin Media UK, (used to be called NTL). My download is 200Mb and my upload 16Mb. The connection is fibre to the cabinet, coax to the home.

I stumbled across this site not realising it is entirely US-based so perhaps it will not be of any real use to me. My stats may not be of more than a passing interest to you guys either.

Anyway, here goes.

Download:

share2-LTFH1BDY2&.png

Upload:

share2-VZICNWDPT&.png

I can't post an image for a UK based test. As your admin points out it is of no relevance to your benchmark, but for general interest here is a test done moments ago.

Last Result:

Download Speed: 186904 kbps (23363 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 16056 kbps (2007 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 5 ms

13 October 2010 11:49:15

Virgin Media 200Mbps

What a difference 4000+ miles makes! It just shows why, even if you have a really good pipe like mine, you won't necessarily get the advertised performance.

See you around guys. I'm happy to share the UK experience with you.

Hi,

My connection is with Virgin Media UK, (used to be called NTL). My download is 200Mb and my upload 16Mb. The connection is fibre to the cabinet, coax to the home.

I stumbled across this site not realising it is entirely US-based so perhaps it will not be of any real use to me. My stats may not be of more than a passing interest to you guys either.

Anyway, here goes.

Virgin Media 200Mbps

What a difference 4000+ miles makes! It just shows why, even if you have a really good pipe like mine, you won't necessarily get the advertised performance.

See you around guys. I'm happy to share the UK experience with you.

Welcome to the site! I just wanted to let you know that I'm working on getting test servers in the UK as well as other locations. However, I want to finish my site restructure before I get into that.

The numbers you get here are still of use to you. My test server is setup in a way that enables it to push data over distance better than most servers. If you configure your end correctly while using testmy.net as your test bench you can see a huge increase in transfer speeds to the US and other locals that are far from you. I've seen people in the past 2X, 3X, 5X their connection speeds over seas by tweaking their settings.

Soon I'll be writing a updated tweaking guide that covers many of the new Operating Systems but for now if you'd like to look at a member submitted tweaking solution here are the files as submitted by VanBuren.

cablenut408.zip

VanBurens_cablenut_settings_all_versions.zip

You may also want to do a search here of all forums for "cablenut" or something along those lines.

Trust me though... distance doesn't always have to screw up your speeds. Especially with a pipe like yours. Vanburen for instance pulled like 16 Mbps all the way to Sweden, I'm pretty sure that he only had like a 20 Mbps package or something... although we can't really ask him anymore since he hasn't been an active member of the site for a few years now :cry:

Anyways, good luck... and if you do figure out how to pull more from your connection over distance please post some instructions for other testmy.net users who are in your situation to read.

- CA3LE

CA3LE, Thanks for the warm welcome.

I am encouraged by your plans for UK and other test servers. I'll watch out for those.

I'm not sure about the cablenut tweaks and settings at this stage. Glancing at the tweaks there was nothing visible for Windows 7 or for 1Gb ethernet. My router, a Netgear WNDR3700, has a throughput of 480Mb with 1Gb ethernet with wireless n/a. I'm not sure the the cablenut tweaks will help because I have already tweaked my Windows 7 and XP machines for a 200Mb connection using a modified SG Vista TCP/IP Patch from speedguide.net and their regular XP TCP/IP tweaker cranked up to 200Mb.

I will look out for your up-to-date suggestions when they come out and meanwhile investigate tweaks for long-haul downloads. I'll keep this site posted.

Cheers

CA3LE, Thanks for the warm welcome.

I am encouraged by your plans for UK and other test servers. I'll watch out for those.

I'm not sure about the cablenut tweaks and settings at this stage. Glancing at the tweaks there was nothing visible for Windows 7 or for 1Gb ethernet. My router, a Netgear WNDR3700, has a throughput of 480Mb with 1Gb ethernet with wireless n/a. I'm not sure the the cablenut tweaks will help because I have already tweaked my Windows 7 and XP machines for a 200Mb connection using a modified SG Vista TCP/IP Patch from speedguide.net and their regular XP TCP/IP tweaker cranked up to 200Mb.

I will look out for your up-to-date suggestions when they come out and meanwhile investigate tweaks for long-haul downloads. I'll keep this site posted.

Cheers

:occasion14: Cheers, hope to see you around. :)

I use W7. Give this TCP Optimizer try. It works a lot better with the newer OS's (Vista & W7). This is the newest version. I use it and all seems fine.! Good luck!

Thanks for adding that... that's actually my preferred method on Windows machines. Dr TCP from DSLreports is another good one. Whatever the method the idea is the same. Optimize the TCP Stack. :nocool:

I use W7. Give this TCP Optimizer try. It works a lot better with the newer OS's (Vista & W7). This is the newest version. I use it and all seems fine.! Good luck!

Conuck,

Thanks,

How do you think your Optimizer compares with this patch from speedguide? [???????] Damn system won't let me attach anything. <Tries link instead>

SG TCP Optimizer

Conuck,

Thanks,

How do you think your Optimizer compares with this patch from speedguide? [???????] Damn system won't let me attach anything. <Tries link instead>

SG TCP Optimizer

Conuck I tried to edit my earlier post, but the system won't let me. :tickedoff: So, I have added further comment this way.

Here are some tests completed after applying your tweaker.

share2-9UHSOBQMD&dual=yes&q2=1M8KLCG6P&.png

share2-PLJZYB936&.png

No significant change there.

Here's a local test done within the same time frame. Sorry I can't do links and images for non-testmy.net servers. :undecided:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 186793 kbps (23349.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 16355 kbps (2044.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 6 ms

14 October 2010 09:20:20

Virgin Media 200Mbps Virgin Media 200Mbps

I don't know if modem power levels are significant for long-haul downloads. My 4 downstream channels are set between -6.46 dBmV and -7.20 dBmV. My 2 bonded upload channels are set around 42.00 dBmV. Obviously I can't change those without liaising with my ISP.

I'll keep trying with TCP tweaks.

E-gards

Vince