WiFi Extender: same ssid or different?

PaxALotl

Hi all -

I'm trying to extend internet from my main house to the garage. Not far (like 60 feet) but there is some sort of interference that I need to deal with. My question is: my extender can use the same ssid as the main router. Sounds convenient, but should I expect the clients to seamlessly choose the WAP that is a stronger signal? It seems like that is a lot to ask the devices, especially since this is quite a small area and they will definitely overlap in some places, quite a lot.

I could easily set it to ssid_ext per the standard, but if the same-ssid thing will work well, that is certainly preferable.

thanks!

Considering most devices can and will only be connected to one wireless access point at a time, I might regulate down the TX power of the main router, if possible and adjusting the beam of the extender to cover the house as well as the garage, if possible.  As the extender should be capable of doing just that, boosting the same connection.

Let us know how it all works out for you and how you ended up getting things sorted to suit your needs, yes?

• 2 weeks later...

Use different ssd's.  In an "unmanaged" wifi access point (AP)  environment,  each AP's is not aware that there are others,  so they will hold on to the connection until it is unusable. Thus,  as you move around,  if the ssd's are the same you will not know which AP you are connected  to,  and it may be the weaker slower signal.  It is a pain to manually switch,  but this is the only way in an unmanaged environment. It doesn't matter if the ssd's are the same or not,  they will not auto-switch as long as a usable signal is available from the current AP.  So the advantage of different names is that you know where you are,  and if you are connected to the "best" AP.   If you want to make this more automatic,  search for "managed access point" - there are solutions out there for under $100 per AP.  All AP's have to be under management. 

• CA3LE locked this topic