Google Fiber Speed Test

Assassin5150

How accurate is it compared to testmy.net, ookla and other speed test out there? The reason I ask is it seems very consistent with my download being around 900Mbps and upload being around 920 Mbps with a +/- of 20Mbps and ping at 35ms. It doesn't give me the false numbers ookla does which are always 944Mbps download and 955Mbps upload and 8ms ping.

http://speedtest.googlefiber.net/

From a quick check in TCPView, Google fiber's speed test is multi-threaded.  Based on a test my with my connection (which only peaks about 45Mbps), it made 20 simultaneous connections:

Google fibre test.png

Although TestMy has a multi-threaded test option (default test is a single connection), the 200MB maximum block size is not sufficient to properly test Gigabit connections as the test will complete in under 2 seconds (900Mbps = 112.5MB per second).  So for measuring your peak speed, the Google fibre test will likely be more accurate.

On the other hand, the normal TestMy linear test will give an idea of what your connection is capable of with a single connection, similar to downloading a very large file with a web browser or FTP transfer.  If you are getting in the 800Mbps range, your connection is fine.  However, if it's much lower, e.g. below 500Mbps, then there is probably something limiting what you can achieve over a single connection, which the multi-threaded speed tests don't show, in which cause you would only be able to achieve the multi-threaded test result with a multi-threaded download manager, e.g. Firefox's DownThemAll plug-in which splits a large download into multiple segments and downloads these segments simultaneously. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2016 at 9:05 AM, Assassin5150 said:

How accurate is it compared to testmy.net, ookla and other speed test out there? The reason I ask is it seems very consistent with my download being around 900Mbps and upload being around 920 Mbps with a +/- of 20Mbps and ping at 35ms. It doesn't give me the false numbers ookla does which are always 944Mbps download and 955Mbps upload and 8ms ping.

http://speedtest.googlefiber.net/

Seems pretty accurate to me. :D

gogoleogogle.jpg

• CA3LE locked this topic