Can we get a "Dual" test in the Beta?

nanobot

Based on how the Beta seems to function, I would think it would be a prime opportunity to add a "dual" test, which simultaneously runs both upload and download.

This would be nice for testing in enterprises that have their own data-centers and host VPN/Web/etc. traffic, as they can find out what types of bandwidth carving they should do. I.e., if my Buckeye 1-gig fiber supports a full-duplex 1-gig, then I don't have to worry as much about having a good upload speed when someone else is using my network. But if it's a half-duplex 1-gig, then it changes how I might want to carve out bandwidth.

Just a thought, would be an interesting metric to add. Could be a purple double-arrow in the results that indicates the combined speed as well, since it's not a pure upload/download, but a "dual" / "simultaneous" / "mixed" test.

• xs1 changed the title to Can whttps://testmy.net/ipb/topic/34679-can-we-get-a-dual-test-in-the-beta/e get a "Dual" test in the Beta?
  • CA3LE changed the title to Can we get a "Dual" test in the Beta?

Don't know how I missed this topic.

I read it when it came in but I never responded, sorry dude.

I was thinking about the same thing as I was developing the beta... how it would be interesting to combine them together.

So along the way I developed it with that in mind for the future.  There are a couple of different ways I've imagined it can be done.  I think I'll just have to experiment in the real-world.

It's definitely coming.  Whether people understand it, use it, want it or care about it... that's another story.  But I think it would be a cool, unique tool... sounds like an interesting new benchmark.  One that will be hard to score well on unless you're connection is awesome. 

I think the most interesting part to me is that it's unknown.  I can kind of simulate what would happen but when it's actually a single process, I think it will yield interesting results.  A test whose results can only be compared to itself.

I'll let you know when it's ready to try.

oooohh, I got it working.  Quickly.  Almost like I planned it... oh wait.

Screenshot 2024-10-02 at 1.21.44 AM.png

Need to style it differently, this isn't just a download test result.

You can see where I run two combo tests, then one normal download test

Screen Recording 2024-10-02 at 1.23.14 AM.gif

It's not like the upload portion is causing congestion in the browser, I'm testing it, calling upload 1/5.  So for every 5 download packages received an upload package of equal size to 1 of the download packages is sent.  The result is immediate degradation of the connection... exactly what we like to test here.  I combined this with another device on the network and indeed found degraded performance.  Meaning we're pushing to the limits.  Stress test.

Look at the gif, the 2nd combo test was larger (200MB) ... notice how the download was starting to fluctuate and flutter under this condition.  The connection was like, "whhoooww, what!"

Pretty cool.  My phone's results are really interesting too.  I'm going to keep playing around with the idea and get something packaged up for you nice and neat.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.