Lsass.exe

rikkkki

One more thing before I go. When I boot up I can't open anything via icons from my desktop UNTIL the error has come up :!:. It's almost like it's "loading in the background" and nothing can be done until it comes up on the screen, maybe 3 or 4 minutes

Try setting your desktop to classic view by clicking start, then click at the top where your user name is with the right mouse button, then click properties.  This will put the network places icon on your desktop.  Next, right mouse click once on the network places icon, then click properties to see your network connections (hopefully).  If its empty, try this:

Start your machine in "Safemode with networking".  Log in as Administrator and check for your network connections from there.  Can't remember whether you tried this or not.

Sounds like it's trying to load something that it can't load, either because it's missing or the program that is trying to load is dependent upon another that isn't loaded.  (If this makes any sense to you......) Don't bother with the network connections screen print if its just blank.  Had forgotten about that  :oops:

Just found this...

http://www.adminlife.com/247reference/msgs/20/100691.aspx

Try this first (excerpt from link above)

Click Start>Run the type in Services.msc and click run button.  The list of services on your computer will come up.  Check to see if the network connections service is running.  If it isn't, right mouse click once on it and click enable.

If it doesn't start, post the error message here.

If it is enabled then do this:

in Start/Run type these lines and hit ENTER after each line

regsvr32 netshell.dll

regsvr32 netcfgx.dll

regsvr32 netman.dll

Then reboot and try to view your network connections again.

BTW: These commands will re-register the dlls in your registry. (Put back entires which may have been removed by something else.... 

If you get any errors, please post them.  We may be on to something here...... :shock:

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well how do I start. Everything is still the same :cry: :cry: BTW this must be an xp thing, but when you right click on user and click properties ie: start/user, I get"task bar and start menu properties" and I couldn't find network places, it's looks like it's network connections for xp only?) anyhow I use my desktop icon or go thru the control panel to get to the network connections.

Safe Mode with networking didn't work either :cry:

Your next thought, and I'm sure your right, is that something is trying to load but NOT the error. The error is coming up after whatever can't load. Makes perfect sense.

Also, the 3 items ran successfully but with no results :cry:

Just for kicks, earlier I went in and read all backup entries from PC Rescue and couln't find anything that looked at all suspicous, mostly McAfee stuff. PC Rescue does not, however, like my Logitech start-up entry at all. But it has to stay there or the mouse won't start right, just goes to default drivers. Looks like I'd better pick up a couple more cases :!:

Well how do I start. Everything is still the same :cry: :cry: BTW this must be an xp thing, but when you right click on user and click properties ie: start/user, I get"task bar and start menu properties" and I couldn't find network places, it's looks like it's network connections for xp only?) anyhow I use my desktop icon or go thru the control panel to get to the network connections.

Safe Mode with networking didn't work either :cry:

Your next thought, and I'm sure your right, is that something is trying to load but NOT the error. The error is coming up after whatever can't load. Makes perfect sense.

Also, the 3 items ran successfully but with no results :cry:

Just for kicks, earlier I went in and read all backup entries from PC Rescue and couln't find anything that looked at all suspicous, mostly McAfee stuff. PC Rescue does not, however, like my Logitech start-up entry at all. But it has to stay there or the mouse won't start right, just goes to default drivers. Looks like I'd better pick up a couple more cases :!:

Yeah, "goin' on a benda"', as we say here in Maine .......:haha: :haha:

Sorry about the start menu. I left a step out.  When you get into the properties of the "Start menu", check off "Classic View".    Was the network connections service enabled in your Services list?  Try starting the service manually by getting to a command prompt, then type in    net start netman

I think the shrapnel from this thing is getting a little too much. It's seems to be permeating throughout my system.. Now look at what I get when I try to get into system info! And then the network thing. And the mouse thing which also seems to affecting the way windows media 10 works, ie, I can't close it out the way I always did. And the windows scripting thing when I open the ultimate troubleshooter. Too many cooties :cry: I have reinstalled the mouse, maybe 4 times, windows media 10 at least once. I can't just click on a video to watch it, I have to refresh the screen several times before it will "take" whew. Do you think that all this is coming from one cootie? Or maybe a couple cooties. BTW, just in case, this morning I put in a second hard drive(slave) in my unit, and that could be my backup file storage for transfering all files and folders if it comes to that. Now that's something that I have done before, also done some cloning, etc. The really neat thing about xp is that you can go to "disk manager" and click on "disk mangement" and actually see all your drives in graph form right in windows! From there you can format, create a partition, create logical drive, name, letter, etc. It's so cool. Almost eliminates the need for the F/disk stuff.

Oh, BTW I read last night about a fix that I almost tried and the sad thing is that it probably would have except for the version difference. :cry: :cry:Some guy on a forum suggested copying

It's definitely sounding more like you're still virused up.  I'm fighting a machine which has one of the appinit viruses right now. (Not my machine, someone I work with.)  Pain in the butt.  The virus is not being detected because it loads so early in the boot process and it disallows running of hijackthis, antivirus software, and interferes with stinger.  Also, it stops you from using the Task Manager and if you use another program such as processViewer, it does not allow you to stop execution of the virus and further if you delete the entry in the registry, it just recreates it immediately.  It looks like the virus runs under the netlogon program, as a process module.  One other thing that this bad boy does is rename itself.  Thought I'd gotten it but then saw a different funky named program running.  Still there.  I'm gonna try running stinger from what Microsoft calls a command line (which I call BS) to see if I can get it that way.  I miss msdos.  When MS took that away from us, they took away our power to control our computer systems. :cry: :cry:  But I digress...........

Go ahead and stop the rpcSs service (net stop rpcSs)  Strange spelling for that file....  to see what happens.  Also, run another hijackthis and post the results.  Bug has to be executing somewhere.  There are a number of services that are running which don't need to be.  If you want, I can list them.    The link you posted sounds like a good idea. 

BTW:  Did you ever run CWS Shredder?

Hey Dude. I did have my services trimmed down alot until this started and I've been starting some of them up to see if that makes any difference. Let me know which ones that I can "disable" and I will I have not run CWS Shredder.I'll stop the rpcSs Then I'll do another HJT and post. BTW, on my second hard drive I have a perfect match lsass file :!: :!: Same exact file version-sp2 and all. See, the drive is, or was, a complete OS before I transferred all important stuff over to  my 80GB disk and then pulled this one out if that makes any sense. I'll do the services thing and the HJT right now and post, stay tuned

OK here is the latest HJT file:

Well some other time I guess. It won't take. Keeps telling me it has to be txt, etc but I can't save it as a txt. When I go to save the only choice I get is .log or all files and that won't work. I've posted HJT before. Is my memory that short? :haha: :haha:

OK here is the latest HJT file:

Well some other time I guess. It won't take. Keeps telling me it has to be txt, etc but I can't save it as a txt. When I go to save the only choice I get is .log or all files and that won't work. I've posted HJT before. Is my memory that short? :haha: :haha:

:)

Just go to the File menu in Notepad, the version that pops up automatically, then click save as and name the file.  Can you do a search and see where the rpcss.exe file is.  It should be in one of the system directories  c:windowssystem or c:windowssystem32.

Cholla:  You can but if you are running NT File System, the dos won't recognize the hard drive.

Well I got this window before I even had a chance to re-boot. I'll post it now and then reboot

AHH Duh, I meant after disabling rpcSs in the services

BTW the last 3 times I have gone into services, I have gotten this error when I leave :cry: :cry:

Your RPC service is named incorrectly.  Not sure whether this means anything.  The name sould be Remote Procedure Call Service or Remote Procedure Call in the name listing you have and in the net start list.  Will take a peeky at your logs.....

Edit:  See you are running DiskKeeper.  I  don't see a damn thing.  Only thing I can figure is if it's a bug, it's replaced one of the files normally used with XP.

69 RAT : You might check this out to see if it will fix your blank help(system information screen)

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm

cak46 I've read you can go to DOS in XP with aWindows 98 start up disk I don't know because I don't have a way to test it.

Sorry it didn't work for MS help. I noticed that it(the fix) looked like it was for the MS windows online update. Well they have a new way of doing things and I can't get it to work!! They tell you that you have to have "userdata persistence" enabled in your security section of your internet options folder under custom settings. Well mine already is enabled but their site won't recognize that so I can't look for or get any of the latest updates :cry: :cry: I did also check system info and still no luck/or network connections. I will be checking out that site more often thought, it looks cool

Check this out. rpcss is the same as remote procedure call: I'd better leave it alone

http://www.theeldergeek.com/remote_procedure_call_(rpc).htm

http://www.theeldergeek.com/remote_procedure_call_(rpc)_locator.htm

It seems maybe that rpcSs has replaced the other two listings because I now have the latest version of sp2. The kitchen puter still has the other two listings and as you can see, according to these links, they appear to be the same thing :?:

Yeah, the real program needs to be running.  Wanted to see if it was the correct one or not.  Don't disable it in services.

Can you disable Windows Firewall?  Read on another forum someone's network connections disappeared after installing this.  You really only need one firewall product anyway.... :)

Edit:  Try running sfc /scannow from the command prompt.  This looks at your system files to see if any have changed.

69 RAT: I've found a few things useful at Doug's site I use a simular patch from their to fix the help on ME.Thats why I thought it might help you.

The site below has some information on XP &DOS The information at the site on windows 2000 & dos looked interesting becasuse it discussed it a little about the NTS file system .Some of this I am trying to learn & it still over my head But it looked useful.

http://malektips.com/windows_xp_and_dos_help_and_tips.html

I will check out the link at elder geeks.I have been to that site before also.

Sounds pretty straightforward.  Since the install of XPSP2 didn't fix the issue, I'm not sure repairing will but it's worth the shot.  At least your network connections might come back and the other scripting issues may be resolved!  I think they give you a couple of installs prior to having to call them to re-activate XP.  Wonder if anyone in India is up at this hour?    :haha: :haha: :haha: