Lsass.exe

rikkkki

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not believe that you can delete from there.  It may have changed the directory that its looking in for your desktop pics.  If you remember where you stored the original picture file, browse to it and see if its there.  I would not think that it would have been physically removed from your Hard drive.

I agree.The pic is gone from my documents/ my pictures folder. Now I MAY have deleted it at an earlier date, I don't remember. It's just not in my pic folder. That's where I download all pics from my digital camera,( including the license plate you are looking at=69 Rat, which I sold on Ebay!!)  But to have all other pics show UP in the desktop portion of  my display props is weird

Browse to the c:windowsWebwallpaper directory and see if its there.

Sorry went looking but can't remember exact # it was Picture00__.jpg  The strange thing here is that all the other pics got loaded into the little window in my display props/desktop settings. I mean, who wants to see Christina Ricci's hmmhmm's in plain sight? :!: :!: On the desktop, that is.......................

I did send off the info that MS wanted between all this. Both the sys and the app logs right from the file.

Sounds good.  Hmmmms in plain sight?  where else should they be???  :haha: :haha:  :-P Gotta sign off..  Have a good evening!  :D

OK yak  agiain. Nighty nite and all that stuff-cheers

edit: gotta send some more email spam to spam-cop, everyday :x :x :x

Thats got to be a pain.  Its funny, at work we got rid of a domain (email) that was compromised and because of the rejections of emails from our server (the majority of which were spam emails in the first place, we got listed as a spammer by spam cop!  Sometimes you just can't win.............

Been working on a front end for an Access database so times pretty tight, but how's it going with Microsoft?  Did they respond yet?

HI there cak46. Sounds like you have an interesting job. Usually if I'm working on the front end of something it's a vehicle :haha: Well, no news today from MS but I did send the info they wanted. Now tonight I will send them a note trying to explain what happened with all my pics in My Pictures folder :!: :!: You know, awhile back I must have unwittingly deleted ALL "front of house pics" from my pics folder cause otherwise it wouldn't dissappear like that out of thin air :?::?: The other pics are 100% complete. I'm good with all of this but I wish I could delete those pics from the display props/desktop section just to get rid of them :-| :-|

Yeah, I'm an IT department of 1 for about 100 users and 5 server, with 4 locations.  Do pretty much everything form networking, setting up new servers,  and programming right to dropping new cable for installations.  Never know what I'll be doin' from day to day....  I kinda like that aspect of it.  I wokr some on my cars, but only go so far.  Latest thing I did was a master brake cylinder on my POS '83 Ford F250.  Do you do alot of this too?

For the pic problem, try to browse to a different picture in a different folder and select it to show on your desktop.  I believe that XP will use the folder of the current picture being shown as what it lists in the display options.

cak 46, I will do minor repairs on my '84 Blazer, but thru the years, I've pretty much "burned out" on the whole scenario. I used to live and breathe cars, even raced a few 1/4 milers in the 80's, did a few custom paint jobs-6 years in the auto-body world, etc. BUT now I just make Cherry and Madrone Burl look beautiful, ie: interior finish. I work for the # 1 yacht building company in the US. We are # 7 in the world :!: :!: My most memorable experience was when after I got hired I got to work on Johnny Carson's yacht :!: :!: The "Serenghetti" He took delivery in March, 2002, and as far as I ever heard, he loved it!! Unfortunately, he didn't get to enjoy it for too long. :( :( :(

cak 46, I will do minor repairs on my '84 Blazer, but thru the years, I've pretty much "burned out" on the whole scenario. I used to live and breathe cars, even raced a few 1/4 milers in the 80's, did a few custom paint jobs-6 years in the auto-body world, etc. BUT now I just make Cherry and Madrone Burl look beautiful, ie: interior finish. I work for the # 1 yacht building company in the US. We are # 7 in the world :!: :!: My most memorable experience was when after I got hired I got to work on Johnny Carson's yacht :!: :!: The "Serenghetti" He took delivery in March, 2002, and as far as I ever heard, he loved it!! Unfortunately, he didn't get to enjoy it for too long. :( :( :( Now, I have seen where, when you select a pic from virtually anywhere on a PC and choose to "display as a desktop item" that it will automatically be listed in the display options section. That pic was, BUT since I think I deleted it earlier from the actual folder that it was in(I cleaned out all excess pics one day) and then did this disable shell ext thing that it just dissappeared from my screen because it didn't exist on my puter!! Then, when I reenabled everything, it could't come back cause it was no longer there. Am I making any sense at all :?: I am exceptionally tired tonight, so not too sharp with the contextual coherancy. Where the heck did that come from :?::?:

Yup, makes sense.  it must store them somewhere else until the system doesn't need them anymore and when you stop using it the copy goes away.  contextual coherancy is quite a mouthful! :)  Johnny Carsons Yacht?  That cool.  My brother is into woodworking (fine furniture) so I've heard the terminology (burl) and kinda know what it means.  I couldn't saw a straight line with a miter box! :haha:  I'm a bit punchy myself.......... programming takes alot out of me for some reason.  Guess I'll sign off for the night, sounds like a plan.......... 

BTW: did you do the full blown shellext disable yet that the ms dude wanted you to do? 

Yes the whole mary ann. That's what started all this. There were only about 6 ext's that I disabled. Apparently that's all it took. Thank goodness I don't have to cut wood myself, just take it from the "raw" state and then make it real pretty. I also do all of the repairs, touch up, to all the yachts after their finished. Lots of work, that's why I am tired tonight

BTW- two of those ext's were Nvidia :!: :!: Hummmmmmmmmm :?::?: And, of course, none of them were MS

Well no, that is just two of the entries that I disabled. I was kinda thinking that stopping the Nvidia extension had something to do with losing the pic, but I don't really think so,,,,,,,,,,,, I just read MS's reply today and, jeez, now they want me to DISABLE all things in my Device Manager :!: :!: :!::confused1::icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: Except the system devices. Are they reaching hear :?::?: Have you ever done anything like that before :?::?:

BTW: the more I think about it, the more silly it sounds that a video card would be responsible for losing a pic. I mean, it's in charge of all things video(quality,resolution,etc.) but not in charge of storing pics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Well no, that is just two of the entries that I disabled. I was kinda thinking that stopping the Nvidia extension had something to do with losing the pic, but I don't really think so,,,,,,,,,,,, I just read MS's reply today and, jeez, now they want me to DISABLE all things in my Device Manager :!: :!: :!::confused1::icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: Except the system devices. Are they reaching hear :?::?: Have you ever done anything like that before :?::?:

No, and I can understand why MS would suggest it. Instead of doing all of them at once, why not disable each device one at a time, rebooting after each to see if the error recurs after the individual disable.  Also, come to think of it, have you looked in device mgr. to see if any are marked yellow or red?  Also, check the box to unhide the hidden devices.  I would not disable the hidden devices unless ms explicitly mentions them and leave you nic for last. 

My next suggestion was going to have you remove (delete) each device from the list one at a time, rebooting after each and then let windows re-install it to see it was that device driver causing the problem,  but actually theirs is kind of a better idea than what I was going to suggest Edit:At this point.  Since the software changes, scans, etc. have done no good, next up is hardware (possibly faulty) or hardware driver as indicated by some of the errors.    Start with checking in device mgr. to see if any device is yellow or red tagged (if you haven't done that yet). 

Update: Well so far I have disabled and re-enabled these items with no change :( :( My dvd-rom/burner combo; video card;Printer Port; Secondary IDE channel.

Now, I'm afraid to do the monitor and the network adaptor(which is onboard) and also the Sound,Video and Game ControllersX7,and the USB ControllersX7. That would be 16 more goodies to disable and re-enable :!: :!:

Oops; something's going on with this posting interface. If you go back to add a letter, etc. and hit the space bar, it starts "Pac Manning" all other letters to the right until you stop. Just like the delete key YIKES :!: :!: :!: I hope that's temporary,, Anyhow, do you think I should do the whole MaryAnn or maybe just pick and choose certain items :?::?: :?:

BTW; I did a clean uninstall/re-install of my mouse. It has not been working the way it normally does ie; when it works right it will close out any window I might be on but otherwise it only works with certain windows( like now) That's why I did the uninstall/re-install -no change  :( :( :(

69 RAT :Windows should detect & reinstall anything you delete.If you put in a driver for anything that did not use the one in windows but needed its own driver.You might want to make sure you have that driver on cd or floppy.In case deleting the hardware removes the driver.Otherwise windows should have the information to reinstall the hardware.I guess it might not if a file was corrupted that it needed.

At this point you might try the suggestions I made in the quote below I know it isn't the key cak46 was talking about.But I still think it would be worth a try.

cak46 I tried to PM you but it didn't show up in my outbox.So I thought I would put some of what I thought here so 99 RAT could look at it.

I believe you are on the right track with the passwords & keys.99RAT do you have the correct key for your XP Home? You may have to make sure that's in your OS then an administrator password for the XP Home.Then the right key for the XP Pro probably the same administrator password.I think both keys will be necessary because the XP Pro was an update type install.

That should get you permission to do what you want to  in your OS.

The problem started with 99RAT installing Silent Hunter 3 the result was a partial bad install.

Thats when the Lsass.exe error message started.Probably because the install was attempted with the user password so it didn't have permission to do a complete install for things that required administrator permission.The uninstall was probably tried the same way.So it was incomplete also.Parts of Silent Hunter 3 are probably still in 99RAT's OS.

What I would try once you're sure all keys are in the OS & you have administrator level access.

Is install Silent Hunter 3 with administrator password;reboot & then uninstall it;reboot.See if the error stops.If it doesn't try the install & uninstall 2 or 3 times(rebooting in between) to see if it will remove all of the Silent Hunter 3. If it does then you can install Silent Hunter 3 with the administrator password & see if the error shows back up.