Lsass.exe

rikkkki

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: Well so far I have disabled and re-enabled these items with no change :( :( My dvd-rom/burner combo; video card;Printer Port; Secondary IDE channel.

Now, I'm afraid to do the monitor and the network adaptor(which is onboard) and also the Sound,Video and Game ControllersX7,and the USB ControllersX7. That would be 16 more goodies to disable and re-enable :!: :!:

Happy Birthday, 69Rat

Oops; something's going on with this posting interface. If you go back to add a letter, etc. and hit the space bar, it starts "Pac Manning" all other letters to the right until you stop. Just like the delete key YIKES :!: :!: :!: I hope that's temporary,, Anyhow, do you think I should do the whole MaryAnn or maybe just pick and choose certain items :?::?: :?:

BTW; I did a clean uninstall/re-install of my mouse. It has not been working the way it normally does ie; when it works right it will close out any window I might be on but otherwise it only works with certain windows( like now) That's why I did the uninstall/re-install -no change :( :( :(

Happy Birthday 69Rat!  :occasion14:

Cholla's right on the delete, then re-install.  If your mouse is malfunctioning, could it be a physical problem with it that may be causing the error?  If you can, borrow a mouse from someone and swap it with the one you have.  Shut your machine down, and replace yours, then start 'er back  up and see if the errors recur. 

Problem with deleting instead  of disable is that, even though the driver is replaced, if it's a physical hardware rpoblem, it will not show that.  I believe tha MS was on the right track with disabling first. 

With you monitor, it will use the standard monitor for windows.  Things might get big and colors will be wacky, but when you re-enable your monitor, all should return to normal.  For the pacmanning, make sure you are inserting, not typing over.  Hit the Insert key once and try it after hitting the key.

BTW:, How old is your mouse and what windows (Programs) doesn't your mouse work on?

Edit: Network adapter is ok to disable but you won't be able to connect to the net until you re-enable it.  Only one I'd be shy about would be the usb controllers (I would consider this a system device).  If your mouse and keyboard are attached by these ports, you may have issues if you disable usb.  Check with MS prior to doing the USB. 

Cholla:  If he did not have an appropriate product key, he would not have been able to install the os, or the os would not have been installed sucessfully by the OEM.  Administrator password is still a good idea.  :)  69Rat, if you want to see your product key you will need to run a program similar to this one: http://pcsupport.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=pcsupport&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.magicaljellybean.com%2Fkeyfinder.shtml

Your product key, which I just found out, for XP, is now NOT stored as clear text in the registry.  :whaa:  I've never used the software form this link, so I can't recommend it but someone else might have something that they could recommend.  If you run it, let us know how it goes.  You can compare the number you get from the program with the one on the tag somewhere on your computer.

Well, my product key is right on. I have a little ditty that came with a cd that I bought last year, so I checked the guys web site and he's come out with an updated version. It's from jd webworks/power solutions. Some stuff s pretty handy like the utility that works like an "encription converter" that pulls ALL of your personal stuff/passwords/info,etc., out of your registry and let's you read it in English :!: :!: It's kinda scary that all that info is in our puter. Back soon,,,,,,,,,

http://www.jdwebworks.com/SuperCD/supercd.htm

BTW; I did put in an administrator password the other day.

Good to see ya back.  You may be right.  Especially since the error came up quicker with the drivers for your nic disabled.  This might be a stupid question, but did you renable your nic driver prior to trying to install the new one?  Did you ever have any spyware called newdotnet?  This particular one affects the lsp files of you tcp stack (network software). 

Who is you internet service provider  and what type of router do you have?  You may want to consider deleting your local connection (in your network connections), then deleting your nic card from the device manager, shut down, unplug your computer, hold the power button on for 5 seconds or so, then plug it back in and boot up and install the updated drivers at that point.  Here is link to show how to list the hidden devices (take a look at these first and post what network, tcp related devices (WAN mini-ports, etc.): or devices marked yellow or red. http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdh_dmt_lhfg.asp

Could you do me a favor and post a screen print of your device manager, showing you nic listings?

How are you trying to do your print screens?  The ways you mention will not work with a windows desktop capture.  To do  a screen print, hit the Printscrn key at the top left of the keyboard, then start mspaint thru start>programs>accessories>paint, then click on the Edit menu the Paste option.  Save it to the desktop thru File>saveAs.  After you finish your text for the post, click on additional options then browse to your desktop then select the file you saved. 

For your nic drivers, don't disable and then try to re-install.  It would not be a good thing.......  You have an integrated network interface card.  Same thing (pretty much), as a regular nic only its built onto the mobo.  (little chip on the mobo, 'bout the size of your thumb..........) 

It's fgood you have not heard about newdotnet.  Pain in the butt....  I run a LinksysBFSX41, Same as yours xcept mine has a firewall built in.  To be truthful, the only one that makes sense to me is the one that is the VIA PCI......  Comcast is different than my connection though (Adelphia).  If you go into your network connections, how many are listed?

Hold on cak46 I had everyhting all written out and then went to load the shot and it's a bmp. so I lost my entire text that I wrote to you, I'm working on it.

OK. I changed it to Jpeg. The only thing I was doing wrong was I didn't click paste first, that's why it wasn't taking in the first place. Now, The VIA makes sense?

Hey cholla :) Thanks for the tip. I noticed that your using 78% of your cpu usage? Whew.Last time I had that was when I was running a Creative Sound Card and it has a little ditty running in the processes called CTTask.exe.and it slowed my puter down alot.Again thanks for the tip. Cheers-Dave

AHHHHHHHHHH Another learning curve, For ME :haha: :haha: I had almost forgotten how my dial-up was when I had it(5 1/2 years) :!: I don't think I understood processes at all back then, just like lsass.exe now. : :evil1: :evil1: :haha: :haha: :haha:

If it did, it wasn't obvious right away. I started trying to install SHIII a few days before the error  happend on that Sat.( six times, I think) But Sat I was doing what their support guys said to do "end processes on everything but system tray and explorer.exe." But with XP you can't do that(I should know better) there are many items that won't "end". So as I'm doing this(ending processes) a few did end but several would not via a warning but when I came to lsass.exe and clicked "end process" I didn't get any warning BUT I did get the dreaded 60 second shutdown notice and my system shut down :cry: :cry: But only once. And then I went through the whole thing about running my anti-virus and any other program I could think of and came up clean. I started studying lsass.exe on the net(forums, sites, etc.) to no avail. And then later in the afternoon on Sat. the error popped up out of the blue :cry: :cry: That's when I got on the forum with you guys.

If it did, it wasn't obvious right away. I started trying to install SHIII a few days before the error happend on that Sat.( six times, I think) But Sat I was doing what their support guys said to do "end processes on everything but system tray and explorer.exe." But with XP you can't do that(I should know better) there are many items that won't "end". So as I'm doing this(ending processes) a few did end but several would not via a warning but when I came to lsass.exe and clicked "end process" I didn't get any warning BUT I did get the dreaded 60 second shutdown notice and my system shut down :cry: :cry: But only once. And then I went through the whole thing about running my anti-virus and any other program I could think of and came up clean. I started studying lsass.exe on the net(forums, sites, etc.) to no avail. And then later in the afternoon on Sat. the error popped up out of the blue :cry: :cry: That's when I got on the forum with you guys.

If you shut processes down, when you reboot they will come back on automatically.  To disable services (processes), that is a whole different ball game.  This would have to be done under computer management>services in control panel.  (Not available on 98, me) We gotta do it thru a process viewer...... :(  Could you post a scrnprnt of you network connections window?  You don't need a multitude of connections to be on line.... Just the active one.  May be one of the others causing the error?  I'd get rid of the unused ones to see if one of those is confilicting somehow.

cak46 I thought it might be a good idea to ask 99 RAT about the start of the problem again.So if he just ended processes they should have automatically came back on.It doesn't look like it worked that way.Unless he did disable or delete them some way guess we need to find out if he just ended processes or did more.Would ending processes ever cause the 60 second shutdown warning & shut down in XP? Or would it take more to do that(like disabling or deleting.)

I know its not the same as his network connections window but his network adapter list looked long to me.

Just some thoughts on this to see if this might lead you in a direction to find the problem. 

cak46 I thought it might be a good idea to ask 99 RAT about the start of the problem again.So if he just ended processes they should have automatically came back on.It doesn't look like it worked that way.Unless he did disable or delete them some way guess we need to find out if he just ended processes or did more.Would ending processes ever cause the 60 second shutdown warning & shut down in XP? Or would it take more to do that(like disabling or deleting.)

I know its not the same as his network connections window but his network adapter list looked long to me.

Just some thoughts on this to see if this might lead you in a direction to find the problem.

Yes.  If you end the lsass process, it will trigger that event.  A process is just another program.  The entry in the registry would have to be reomved or disable to stop the program from running at boot time... or the actual file would have to be deleted from the system.  His list is long most likely due to the multiple connections in his network connections window.  Personally, I would remove them all and start over, but not being a comcast user, I would hesitate to do that without a comcast user explaining in detail to him how to rebuild the connection after re-installation of his nic drivers and tcp.  Some software does install "devices" and if the software he installed did this, but didn't remove the entries in the reistry, that could be causing the error but I doubt that is what's occurring, since its an intermittent thing and it occurs on clicks on icons, etc.  Good idea Cholla.

69Rat:  Did the problems start while installing or after uninstalling the Hunter software....?.  And could you find out if there is a list of files associated with that software?  Let's take a different tack and see if we can find some errant entry in the registry for one of those files before messing with youir network setup, if you want to.

Hi guys. OK, I had all the trouble installing SHIII up to and including the 11th. Later in the afternoon on the 11th is when the error started, BUT AFTER I clicked to "end process" on lsass.exe, I got the 60 second doom, then later I got the error. On Sunday, the 12th, I installed XP Pro and then the game installed cleanly. But of course I still had the error :cry: :cry:Days later I uninstalled SHIII just to get it out of the way. I ran a complete search and deleted all things SHIII and then ran PC Rescue to remove any "shrapnel" from the registry or any other files: links, shortcuts etc,

One more thing before I go. When I boot up I can't open anything via icons from my desktop UNTIL the error has come up :!:. It's almost like it's "loading in the background" and nothing can be done until it comes up on the screen, maybe 3 or 4 minutes