theGODl337

hackers are....  

38 members have voted

1. 1. hackers are....

• generally good
    • evil bastards
    • l337 ru13r5 0f 73h w0r1d
    • some good some bad

I agree with ghostmasters definition, but would go further to say that the term hacker can also include persons who push software to perform in ways that they were not originally intended. 

I also believe that the definition of a true "White hat hacker" should include the caveat that if they have not been hired by a firm or been requested to perform their "magic" on a system, they are violating the law and should be prosecuted, even if they are doing it, "just because they can" and don't have anything better to do. 

I would not appreciate an intruder that just opens the door of my house, comes in and walks thru my house and then just leaves after looking around for a bit.  Thats why they are called intruders or home invaders.........

White hats are just a lesser evil of the hacker breed.  They are not to be glorified and acknowledged as do-gooders in my view.  The true white hat works only when asked to or uses their own equipment, not others, to practice their trade.

Edit:  I should probably qualify my response so as not to offend anyone. 

I've read quite a few posts on the net that glorify white hat hackers that break into systems that are not their own just because they can and I don't agree with this.  They should be prosecuted and the definition of  "white hat hacker" should not include those that do this.  Maybe have another group, such as grey hat hacker, the ones that live on the edge, breaking into other peoples systems but don't do damage or use the information that they illegally obtain.

"hackers" in the original form of the word are ussaully good they provide you with a more intresting program . for instance the hacks that let you change ie to do tab browsing or to change its colors. they also expose a wrong doing of a company for instance the whole grand theft auto coffe scenerio they had sex in a rated m game which where clearly covered up so that they would not restric it to a adults only rating. if it were not for that hacker kids might have accidently uncover it .

Edit:  I should probably qualify my response so as not to offend anyone. 

I've read quite a few posts on the net that glorify white hat hackers that break into systems that are not their own just because they can and I don't agree with this.  They should be prosecuted and the definition of  "white hat hacker" should not include those that do this.  Maybe have another group, such as grey hat hacker, the ones that live on the edge, breaking into other peoples systems but don't do damage or use the information that they illegally obtain.

there are other kinds of hacker types besides dark and white hats

there are red and grey hats

red = nuetral

grey = sometimes good sometimes bad

there are other kinds of hacker types besides dark and white hats

there are red and grey hats

red = nuetral

grey = sometimes good sometimes bad

I didn't know about the other definitions and groupings.  Thanks for the info!  :)

I still feel that no matter How they define themselves or are defined by others, if they break into any system that is not their own without the ok from the owner, they should go down for a criminal act.  By condoning their actions, we legitimize them.  The "hackers", "crackers", should be shunned from the net and not allowed any computer access if they break into anothers computer without the owners say so. 

By all of the definitions I've seen thus far, the word "hackers" pretty much covers the whole spectrum of users/programmers from the Pentagon insurgents stealing top secret information to the guy down the street that found a new way to connect to the net with WindowsXP without a network connection.  Makes for an interesting report, I imagine!  :)

~ How Some Software Hackers Think ~

"Give a man a crack, and he'll be hungry again tomorrow,

teach him how to crack, and he'll never be hungry again."

While the term 'hacker' may imply an intruder perspective, let us not forget the study of 'hacking' is both relevent to our own vulnerability and security. I do enjoy reading phrack. ~ lol . . .anyone else?

http://www.phrack.org/ 

If you have nothing to counter act the main flow you will never know if it is flowing at its top speed.  "Hackers" are necessary. they make the phone company pull their heads out of their @@@. then they make uncle bill come out with new things to make us buy. they also made an entire industry (software) anti virus. They also give it guys something to do besides getting back some info a CEO erased off of the desk top............................ i could keep going but I will stop. (thank goodness) :D

the original hacker, the competent programmer, is ok. it's just a kind of honorific.

but the now more common recipient of the term hacker, the criminal that breaks into other peoples systems, should not be glorified. especially those that break into systems, claim they did nothing wrong, and then decorate themselves with the wilted laurels of their ill gotten gains. if someone breaks into a dozen systems, even without stealing any information, he has violated private property. even if that property belongs to a corporation, it is still private. if it is government property it is even worse. let's say said hacker has broken into a couple of larger systems and then writes a book about it. all of a sudden he /is/ making money off his criminal enterprise. he is, however, hailed as a 'good' hacker because all he did was point to an existing flaw. the fact that he exploited a flaw for financial or personal gains is sadly ignored.

and please do me the favor of citing such concepts of civil disobedience in conjunction with hacking public systems for 'demonstration' purposes so i can throw back at you the fact that in the past, civil disobedience was rewarded with jailtime or worse. (gandi, mandela etc. etc.)