Help with upgrading a laptop...

richcornucopia

Allright, my friend just got a new laptop for his birthday.Before he got his new one he had this Hp Omnibook 6100 http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,22967,00.asp. I told him I'd give him 50 bucks to take it off his hands and he agreed. Right now it has an old battery that last no longer than 15-20 minutes, a 20 gig hardrive, and 384 megs of ram, so I thought it was a good deal. MY question is what can I do to upgrade it. While I'm very knowlagable in computer building and upgrading I know almost nothing about upgrading a laptop. Is it possible to get a new processor that would work with it, new hardrive, more ram? All suggestions are welcome.

i looked at the link that peepnklown posted for laptop components and i found a hard drive for my laptop. what would be involved in switching hard drives? it is very complicated and some what basic. i am not worried about any information on my computer just want it to get running normally

get the hard drive supported by your laptop. open the case using a screwdriver/crowbar/cutting torch/all of the above. replace existing drive. of course, if you laptop lets you, some do some don't, place the harddrive in an extra bay or the bay occupied by the cdrom. it's actually not really different from replacing a desktop hdd, just that the connector has the power pins together with the data pins.

There are tons of knowlagable people on this site, and whereever you buy it from will have some type of customer support that you can talk to. If you can find place where you can pick it up locally I would do that because they can give you an idea of what you have to do and they can guide you on the installation. If not you can find help elsewhere if you need it.

You can defiantly upgrade your ram and hard disk

Forget about the CPU and Graphics Card that is built in the mother board most of the time (the CPU might not but it would be too difficult to upgrade)

you need to open the bottom of Ur laptop and check what can be removed/replaced and what can't

don't buy ram before you are sure of the type of ram you have laptop ram can be tricky I'm advising

basically the ram is usually so-dimms and the hdds are 2.5 inchers instead of the usual 3.5 inchers on a desktop. but since the exception is the rule and everything that can go wrong will go wrong (and don't be fooled if it doesn't, it's just waiting for a more inconvenient time to go wrong) you should go to the manufacturers website for your laptop and armed with the model and serial number browse what they offer, if they give any limits as to ram or hdd size and so on. take the time and write their support e-mail to please give you a list of compatible upgrades or at least the specs i mentioned.

edit:

and 3 cheers for you for worrying about having a legal windows. that's the way to do it right.

forget windows on a laptop go whit linux they use less resources so you ussally get more battery life but then again it depends on what you want to do all i did on my old one was surf the internet and type papers which linux can do nicely but if you want to play dvds cds or play games on it forget it basicly if you want to install anything that only runs on windows is a no .