chips blowing up?

Enzone26

Yes that can happen. But it doesn't really happen anymore. this was one of the many problems with AMD processor designs, back in the days. They where such a bad design that when they would get above a temp. this would happen. They would also break in your hands if you handled them wrong, or put the heat sink on too hard.

heres what i think happened. the chip got really hot and when they took the heat sink off, the chip cooled to rapidly causing the air under the chip to compress and that made it pop off like it did.

Its like heating up a pop can and then dumping it into a pool of ice water. The can shrinkes instanly.

heres what i think happened. the chip got really hot and when they took the heat sink off, the chip cooled to rapidly causing the air under the chip to compress and that made it pop off like it did.

Its like heating up a pop can and then dumping it into a pool of ice water. The can shrinkes instanly.

Thats pretty good... But... the heatsink is designed to cool the chip.. why would removing it cool it more?  :-|

Thats pretty good... But... the heatsink is designed to cool the chip.. why would removing it cool it more?  :-|

yes, but the fan was not running. so the heat sink will also get hot. When you lift the heat sink off the cold air is able to flow over the chip. this will cool the chip very quickly.

This is just my theory. I dont know this for a fact.