Why does my internet shutdown when my fax/phone rings

Jon Perrett

I have a small office network. Everytime the fax machine rings our internet shuts down. We have voip phone system so the phones switch down too. I have changed the modem router but this didn't make any difference. Once the fax has made its connection the internet drops out and once transmission is over a few seconds later it comes back on. Why is this?

I have a small office network. Everytime the fax machine rings our internet shuts down. We have voip phone system so the phones switch down too. I have changed the modem router but this didn't make any difference. Once the fax has made its connection the internet drops out and once transmission is over a few seconds later it comes back on. Why is this?

I assume that you're on DSL by the symptoms.

Sounds like you're missing a DSL phone line filter, aka phone line conditioner.  It shields the line from digital noise & interference.  Search Google or amazon for "DSL Phone Line Filter" ... expect to pay ~ $5 to $8 with free shipping for a decent one.  GE seems to be a reasonably priced model.

They look like this...

post-2-0-10425400-1374558616.png

You should have one of these on all of your phone and fax machine lines.  Realize that your DSL is sharing the same line just running on different frequencies. Without a filter noise on the line can interrupt the DSL connection... if you've already got one of these on the line it may be faulty and passing the noise instead of filtering it out.  They can and do go bad.

Usually your DSL provider will hook you up with these if you ask... often they'll give you a handfull of them when you set up service.  Maybe you had a bad install tech or did a self install and didn't realize that you need those...... 

Let me know if that helps. ;)  -- it should.

Welcome to testmy.net Jon

I'll stand by cable and triran's posts and say the problem is a filter.

If this does not clear up the issue immediately check the QOS setting in the voip routing device, or online control panel if this is vonage.

Run a few bandwidth tests at several of testmy.net servers to insure there are no underlying issues as well.

When you find the problem update us if you would please ?

Thanks guys. I have tried a filter that isn't too old and still had the same problem. I am going to try filters on all devices. I recently changed ISP and since then this problem started. I may have to give them a call and see if they can shed any light.

Never come across this before 

• CA3LE locked this topic