Unhappy user. Want out !

Slowman54

We were totally lied to. I have yet to watch complete video since using Hugesnet . Now they want $400 to tack it back. Now I make a point of telling at least 10 people a day how REALLY BAD the service is and Not to beleave any of the ads promising that you can stream videos , also having trouble just doing our banking online. Please join my quest let the world know about the dishonesty of Hugesnet and prevent another unhappy user.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just got Hughes net and have yet to get the download speed they advertised. Getting upload of 1.2  MBps to as high as 3.18! This is only a fraction of the 20 they advertised.

I don't think any of there so-called technicians can fix this. I want cancel and go to Century link. Hope I can get out from under this bad deal without costing me an arm and a leg.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:10 PM, Slowman54 said:

We were totally lied to. I have yet to watch complete video since using Hugesnet . Now they want $400 to tack it back. Now I make a point of telling at least 10 people a day how REALLY BAD the service is and Not to beleave any of the ads promising that you can stream videos , also having trouble just doing our banking online. Please join my quest let the world know about the dishonesty of Hugesnet and prevent another unhappy user.

On 7/6/2019 at 11:48 AM, Gustoff said:

The only possible contract that I remember was the initial conversation I had when I ordered service from them. I didn't receive a written contract by email from them.

When they came to install, did you sign a work order?  Or did you install service yourself?

I'd like to see what Hughes customers are agreeing to when they sign up.  

1 hour ago, CA3LE said:

When they came to install, did you sign a work order?  Or did you install service yourself?

I'd like to see what Hughes customers are agreeing to when they sign up.  

I signed nothing on installation. According to their web site under legal terms though once your equipment is installed and activated you are obligated to a service agreement. If you decide that you want to break the agreement, you must contact their customer service and are subject to a penalty.

Hughes agreement.jpg

Yeah, Hughesnet is really bad. My DSL is faster during live streams on YT. When I try to watch a live stream using Hughesnet, all I get is constant buffering. So I switch to DSL, which I kept because of that, and NO buffering with DSL. I will give Hughesnet one thing, it's faster downloading and uploading files, than my DSL. It's a strange monster. I Can't wait until they finish the fiber optics in my area. 

• 3 weeks later...

@CA3LE In general someone signs up for service and they *should* be told there is a 2 year service agreement with a $400 ETF that slowly goes down in costs.  If the new customer provides an email, and the CS agent types it in correctly, the new customer will be sent a "Greetings" email, that explains the first X days they get a data reset daily, and that they are not yet subject to a contract, but upon activation they will be.

When a new terminal is installed, before it can leave the walled-garden state a customer must type out their name on a page that displays the contractual terms and conditions.  Most everyone does this without realizing it as the installer will hand the customer a tablet that just has the signature pad, and a customer signs that.

All customers end up being bound by one or more of a few contracts, depending on if they are residential, business, or have voice.

If you want, you can view the contracts here.   I suggest anyone that is having contractual issues, if it's not been more than 30 days, you can request a sales call review at the Hughesnet Community, and if found in your favor, they will typically let you off the hook.  One thing though, is tricky wording, everyone thinks the claim Upto XXMbps means they will always get that, when they actually wont.  That upto is a word that everyone seems to gloss over.

• 1 month later...

I have had Hughesnet for (2) months now and it is easily on top of the list of the worst decisions I have ever made! I am so glad I did not get rid of 4 meg dsl line.  I cannot understand how this company continues!  I do not understand how in the world they have not been shut-down. You would be better going back to 56k modem then having GEN 5 Hughesnet!  

• 2 months later...

Hi, sorry for your troubles. I can totally relate to what you have been through.

Just curious, if you don't mind ... the gear that they brought to your house, is it mandatory to use their equipment? Asked another way, do you have a choice of using your own internet access equipment? (modems, routers, switches , whatever)

Second, the Hughesnet equipment, what are the brands/models they use ?