Have the Xfinity 1200/40 Speed tier but dropping frames while streaming

spudler_t

I have no Missed frames from rendering, Skipped frames from Encoding but when I stream at 8000kb/s or higher (or try to anyway) I start getting a huge amount of Dropped frames (Network) 

I may be confused but isn't 1200/40 equivalent to 120000/40000 in kb/s??

If so I would think that streaming at 8000 kb/s should be a non issue it is 1/5 max upload and I seen where it is mentioned you should be able to set your stream bitrate to easily 50-75% of your upload speed  Of course taking into account if you have other traffic uploading as well  which I only have iracing running so do not think I should have issues with my settings 

I am trying to upload higher quality iRacing streams  (current resolution is 3440X1440 85 Hz (Fps) 

I'm sorry I just saw your topic.

40 Mbps is 5 MB/s which is 5120 kB/s

Mbps / 8 bits per byte = MB/s * 1024 = kB/s

So if you're trying to stream 8000 kB/s "you're gonna have a bad time"

gonna-have-a-bad-time.jpg

For max quality I would set it at 4000 kB/s to leave headroom.  You should have no dropped frames.  You can technically go higher but I'd leave that 20% headroom for other stuff going on in the background.

Let me know if this works better.

I am not sure if I messed up the designation between B and b (Bits and Bytes). I did find the problem and I was shocked to be honest, my ASUS Strix Z-490 E Gaming MB has VI and I found it had the OBS Streaming set to Low which I guess was causing all the problems. I changed that setting to extreme (which is what iRacing is set at) 

I set the OBS to 10000 kbps and since then I have not had a single issue of dropped anything and am in the bitrate suggested for 3440x1440 

If anything changes or I find I start getting more dropped frames I will update this thread

OBS Speed.jpg

Edited by spudler_t
jpg was in middle of thread

I thought that seemed a little high.  10 Mbps (10,000 Kbps) you can easily do.

On 6/28/2023 at 2:33 AM, spudler_t said:

I may be confused but isn't 1200/40 equivalent to 120000/40000 in kb/s??

So yes, 40 Mbps is 40,000 Kbps ... kb/s is also correct.  I just thought you meant kB/s because I abbreviate it as Kbps.  My bad.

If you wanted to, you could easily do 2 streams at 10 Mbps.

Thanks ya I was thinking something was not right with it dropping frames when i was only running at 8,000 kbps.

Initially I was thinking Xfinity was doing something to limit me, then by accident I seen the GameFirst VI was setting the OBS stream section to low.

Once I changed that I was easily able to stream at 10,000 kbps 

I just streamed a iRacing ARCA race at Indy RC and had no problems so all seems to work great.

Funny when you set things correctly how nice they work LOL 

Edited by spudler_t