Sick and Tired of Xfinity acting like we get faster more reliable internet with this 10 G BS

I have not seen any faster internet and the reliability claim is 100% a Lie, I have had my Gateway reset more times then I can count ( I do have it tallied up in a file though as I am have lost a few chances to make $$ by broadcasting iRacing races as I cannot be sure I will not have my gateway restarted in the middle of a Leagues race. If i cannot even be sure that I can run a race myself while also streaming without  Xfinity disregarding the (they shoudl be able to tell my internet is not idle or even at 20% use when I am racing as well as streaming at 15000 Kbps I would think it woudl be something noticeable. Not only that I was told they do not have the technology to detect activity and postpone the restarts ( A restart is all they did to as the Software as well firmware ( I guess it is) is the exact same version it was prior to the restart.

So in reality what is this restart about? is it some way they can download my internet activity as this happens a lot with not a single thing changing as far as software versions etc.

I feel for the amount I pay each month they shoudl not have the right or ability to tell my gateway to restart any time they want, yet again I am told that is not a possibility  I just wish there was a different ISP in my area that was able to provide a speed tier remotely close to what I have now I think the best is 200 down and 15 up  where I have 1200 down and 45 up.

If I owned my own Gateway would they still lie and claim they need to do these updates (just restarts a majority of the time) and @CA3LE do you feel it is worth it to buy your own gateway as they are not even remotely cheap.

I have Xfinity and my modem rarely resets like that.  When it does it's usually around midnight or 2 am.

If it's doing that frequently it's a sign of some kind of issue.

couple questions...

• Where is this modem/gateway?  Does it happen to be in a confined space, possibly running hot?
  • I know the gateway has restarted recently but did you happen to do a full power cycle?  (unplug for 10 seconds)

7 hours ago, spudler_t said:

If I owned my own Gateway would they still lie and claim they need to do these updates (just restarts a majority of the time) and @CA3LE do you feel it is worth it to buy your own gateway as they are not even remotely cheap.

... again, it shouldn't be restarting frequently.  Once a month at most.

Every so often you will require updates from Comcast and sometimes they may require the modem to restart.  No matter which hardware you use and regardless of the ISP.

I feel it's always smart to own your equipment.  A nice quality Netgear gaming router and Arris Surfboard modem compatible with your package is what I recommend.  Long term it saves money.  When you want to upgrade having a separate modem and router makes it less expensive... and gives you the most choices and options.

Right now I'm currently renting a gateway.  I use it only as a modem then it goes into my own router.  Personally I'd never trust them (or anyone else) with my networking.  I had to rent their modem to get unlimited data.  Now they allow unlimited with your own modem but for +$30 /month, vs +$25/month (inc gateway rental).

But if you don't have or need the unlimited you'll save $15/month.  I see SURFboard S33 (check with Comcast and make sure this works with your package first, it should) for $100-$120 refurbished on amazon.  So 7-8 months break even.  Then for a router I might get a Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500 refurbished for $105-$150. Let's say 8 more months.  So 16 months and you'll be ahead.

That router is limited to 1 Gbps ethernet but I think the over all quality of the connections will be amazing.  There are 2.5 Gbps ethernet options but at a premium right now.  Netgear RAX120 has 1x 1/2.5/5Gbps and I've seen those as cheap at $149.

It may be tempting to get a modem/router combo, like the Netgear CM2000 for $189 refurbished.  But if anything goes wrong, it usually costs more to replace.  And then you lose that upgrade flexibility I mention above.

For this type of gear I would definitely save the money and get refurbished or used.  If it works for a week or two, chances are it will chug away for years.

20 hours ago, spudler_t said:

I have not seen any faster internet and the reliability claim is 100% a Lie, I have had my Gateway reset more times then I can count ( I do have it tallied up in a file though as I am have lost a few chances to make $$ by broadcasting iRacing races as I cannot be sure I will not have my gateway restarted in the middle of a Leagues race. If i cannot even be sure that I can run a race myself while also streaming without  Xfinity disregarding the (they shoudl be able to tell my internet is not idle or even at 20% use when I am racing as well as streaming at 15000 Kbps I would think it woudl be something noticeable. Not only that I was told they do not have the technology to detect activity and postpone the restarts ( A restart is all they did to as the Software as well firmware ( I guess it is) is the exact same version it was prior to the restart.

So in reality what is this restart about? is it some way they can download my internet activity as this happens a lot with not a single thing changing as far as software versions etc.

I feel for the amount I pay each month they shoudl not have the right or ability to tell my gateway to restart any time they want, yet again I am told that is not a possibility  I just wish there was a different ISP in my area that was able to provide a speed tier remotely close to what I have now I think the best is 200 down and 15 up  where I have 1200 down and 45 up.

Unless there's an issue with the gateway itself, the ISP should only "update" or need for a restart at most, once a month, if that. There has to be in issue with your gateway, or a signal loss issue with the connection itself for it to restart that many times. There's been months before my ISP needed to refresh/change IP or update the config. Id check with comcast to see what's going on.  Possibly a bad power supply to the gateway? Gateway itself overheating? Bad power strip?  There has to be a cause. This type of behavior is not normal. 

I think I feel like it is more often as that time frame is a big race I usually do in iRacing the NIS Series. So to most people they probably do not even realize it has reset.

I will start keeping a much better record keeping on when it does restart from now on 

As I noticed by my OP I t was about 02:15 or so when it did it only had 2 laps left in race LOL