PING to a European Server from the Caribbean

pothound

Hey Everybody
I work for a Call Center and have not a big clue of PINGs and traceroutes etc. However the PING is poor and the European Call Center tells me, my ISP is able to do something to improve it.
The ISP however seems to be a at a loss.
I hid the server in Europe.
The first IP is mine.

Up to line 10 are all IP adresses from my ISP.
So in my point of view - which of course is just the opinion of a non-expert - they could do something to improve which would then help lower the final ping. Is this wrong thinking?
And I am quite worried, that line 2 is already timing out.

Hope you can shed some light on this issue.

Thank you all!

check.jpg.c9b7b66dd2599352f350fa0d0d1021d5.jpg

Some parts of your route may not respond to ICMP, this is normal.

You'll notice 3 RTT columns (displaying ms).  One thing you're looking for is consistency between them.  You're also looking for responses that are out of line with the point in the route.  If you're seeing 28 ms on hop 5, then 300 ms on hop 6, then 45ms on hop 7... it would appear in that case that hop 6 may have issues.

Your hop 10 show 124, 61, 59.  May have been a fluke but it is showing a little inconsistency in that hop.  I'd test it a few more times to be sure.  I see that IP returns as Columbus Networks (query 69.79.100.172 w/ TMN iptools).  So it looks to me like it's still within your ISPs network.

Run a traceroute to the TestMy.net server nearest to you (fl.testmy.net) and post the screenshot for me.

tracert fl.testmy.net

Another question, how is your computer connected to the network?  Are you wired or using wifi?  If you're concerned about latency make sure you hardwire the computer.

Thank you so much for looking into this.

Yes that is the network here, Columbus Networks. And for me as a non-expert it feels there is already an issue here on the island. Just a question on how to get this accross to the ISP. Working on this since about 10 days. The route looks similar all the time. I really think Columbus has an issue.

image.png.bba0146fd9a9b6cbb2680500459c3b38.png

I am connected with an Ethernet Cable. A technican I trust, was here and checked everything. He said my set-up looks fine.

please run that traceroute to fl.testmy.net again 2 more times.  See if we find a pattern.

Again, those timeouts are perfectly normal.  I'm looking at hop 7 right now because the 3rd attempt was >3X the previous.

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 2.03.04 PM.png

IP in question is within Columbus Networks (ref: https://testmy.net/iptools/63.245.57.88).

Here's mine for comparison, from Colorado Springs to Miami Florida >2000 miles.

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 2.13.05 PM.png

And to my datacenter, downtown Colorado Springs about 20 miles away.

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 2.13.24 PM.png

Note the consistency between the 3 RTT columns for each hop.

I guess the better question is, is your concern the consistency of the pings, or the final number, as you have stated in previous post?  I ask because as far as the consistency aspect is concerned, the spikes, or jitter, is going to be on the ISP routing end of things... not a whole lot that can be done there short of having a technician from the ISP run line dB testing, either from your personal location of testing, or from the node to your location, etc. As far as the final number goes... That is on the other end of the IP's final stop... just end distance as a factor & really cannot change that aspect. 

On the other hand, your trace to the fl.testmy.net seemed pretty normal give or take a few spikes. Ping 1 is you, ping 2 is you -> your  switch/node , 3 is your ISP & onward. From there, is all in ISP routing. 

Miami, about 2 hours south from my location. 

image.png

Colorado, about 2000 miles away. 

image.png

12 hours ago, xs1 said:

I guess the better question is, is your concern the consistency of the pings, or the final number, as you have stated in previous post?  I ask because as far as the consistency aspect is concerned, the spikes, or jitter, is going to be on the ISP routing end of things... not a whole lot that can be done there short of having a technician from the ISP run line dB testing, either from your personal location of testing, or from the node to your location, etc. As far as the final number goes... That is on the other end of the IP's final stop... just end distance as a factor & really cannot change that aspect. 

On the other hand, your trace to the fl.testmy.net seemed pretty normal give or take a few spikes. Ping 1 is you, ping 2 is you -> your  switch/node , 3 is your ISP & onward. From there, is all in ISP routing. 

Miami, about 2 hours south from my location. 

image.png

Colorado, about 2000 miles away. 

image.png

I think it is the PING to the final destination. Working for that Call Center I have to access their server. If the PING is high it takes a long time until people hear me or certain sites open at my end. Those sites are crucial as there is info I have to relay very fast when answering the phone.

The European Call Center Tech said, the ISP has to do some re-routing. The ISP here tells me they are looking into it, and it would be extremely difficult and bla bla bla. So I am starting to loose hope....

If you look at my tracert to that German server, the first 10 lines are all here in our little island. And I feel it is taking far too long to get anywhere. No?

19 hours ago, CA3LE said:

please run that traceroute to fl.testmy.net again 2 more times.  See if we find a pattern.

Again, those timeouts are perfectly normal.  I'm looking at hop 7 right now because the 3rd attempt was >3X the previous.

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 2.03.04 PM.png

IP in question is within Columbus Networks (ref: https://testmy.net/iptools/63.245.57.88).

Ok I run the trace again, they are 1.5 hours appart. Is that enough?

fl-testmy-1045.png.64d69a04a31e7171ff93549e8d97fd57.png

fl-testmy-1215.png.0780fb3ff42c93b2a1372442a7478855.png

On 10/12/2023 at 8:47 AM, pothound said:

Working for that Call Center I have to access their server. If the PING is high it takes a long time until people hear me or certain sites open at my end. Those sites are crucial as there is info I have to relay very fast when answering the phone.

Where is their server located that you're connecting to?