In Beta testing

NorthIndiana84

I couldn't get to another topic area because it wouldn't let me select but in beta once my test is done the top half of my screen just keeps rolling. Just like it's still testing but the numbers are still the same. I have to roll to the bottom of the screen to stop it. I wish I could explain it better but I'm not 100% expert. I understand how to hook it up well, run certain programs well, I play DFS mostly full time but other than that I don't know code or anything like that...Just as an example I have a 12th gen Chrome OS Acer 516 that says it has a 2.5 gigbite either connect. I have a XB8 modem from Xfinity that has a 2.5 gbps Ethernet connect and I get 1.2gbps internet service. I bought a true Cat 7 cable from tripp lite, one from Lowes too that was a Cat 7 but smaller than the one I bought, and Xfinity sent someone out with a yellow cheap Cat 5 and he was getting 1 gig and I was getting 300 mbps to my 2.5gbps hookup with any cord. I have 2- 3.2 C-USB's and I just bought a eth to C-USB adapter with 2.5gbps capability from j5create and one from Belkin that was 1gbps and with my true Cat 7 plus the j5 I get up to 1.4gbps... That's my top end expertise but I had trouble finding a place to write. This is the best I could get.

21 hours ago, NorthIndiana84 said:

I couldn't get to another topic area because it wouldn't let me select but in beta once my test is done the top half of my screen just keeps rolling. Just like it's still testing but the numbers are still the same. I have to roll to the bottom of the screen to stop it. I wish I could explain it better but I'm not 100% expert. I understand how to hook it up well, run certain programs well, I play DFS mostly full time but other than that I don't know code or anything like that...Just as an example I have a 12th gen Chrome OS Acer 516 that says it has a 2.5 gigbite either connect. I have a XB8 modem from Xfinity that has a 2.5 gbps Ethernet connect and I get 1.2gbps internet service. I bought a true Cat 7 cable from tripp lite, one from Lowes too that was a Cat 7 but smaller than the one I bought, and Xfinity sent someone out with a yellow cheap Cat 5 and he was getting 1 gig and I was getting 300 mbps to my 2.5gbps hookup with any cord. I have 2- 3.2 C-USB's and I just bought a eth to C-USB adapter with 2.5gbps capability from j5create and one from Belkin that was 1gbps and with my true Cat 7 plus the j5 I get up to 1.4gbps... That's my top end expertise but I had trouble finding a place to write. This is the best I could get.

What's your advertised speeds?  

On 3/25/2024 at 8:33 PM, NorthIndiana84 said:

I couldn't get to another topic area because it wouldn't let me select but in beta once my test is done the top half of my screen just keeps rolling. Just like it's still testing but the numbers are still the same. I have to roll to the bottom of the screen to stop it.

I develop primarily using Chrome so I'm not sure why that would be happening.  But maybe there's something different about ChomeOS.

I'm installing ChromeOS for testing and will report back on this topic.

Ran ChromeOS, tested the beta and didn't see the behavior you described.  

Actually that particular computer ran better under ChromeOS than MacOS... I might have to install it full time on that machine.  It's a 2011 and has been progressively slowed down by Mac updates.  Funny, all the problems seem gone, same exact hardware different OS.  Proves that it's all software and personally, it feels intentional.

Anyway, I tried to install it first on my Virtual Machine setup using proxmox but the RAW file makes it a little annoying.  I need an ISO.  So I opted to just put it on a flash and run it on my hardware test bench.  Unfortunately I was met with a stuck boot screen.  It showed the ChromeOS Flex splash screen but wouldn't load further.  That's when I turned to one of my old iMacs.  Booted right up and tested as I would expect (running on the wifi under suboptimal conditions but that's not what we're testing).

Do you have any Chrome extensions installed?  Go to chrome://extensions/ in your browser, let us know what you have installed.  Post a screenshot.

Basic run down of what can happen sometimes...

Extensions that parse (read) the data in your browser may be overwhelmed by the data TMN dishes out.  This can cause weird things to happen.  If you see an extension that's doing this, e.g. you disable an extension and the symptom disappears, then chances are... that extension is parsing the data in your browser.  In other words, if it can do that... it can spy on you as well.  I would not use an extension with that sort of behavior.  It may be "legitimate" because it's a "deal catcher" extension or something like that... it may need to spy on you to get you that deal.  And you're giving it that permission. 

To hunt down the extension, systematically disable extensions and then re-test until you nail it.  If you have a bunch installed, maybe start with just disabling all of them.  Then re-enable the ones you really need.

The current version passively detects things like this all the time.  Something special about my process... other speed tests don't seem to do this.  According to our users that run into these kinds of extension issues.

I just want to compare our user agent strings to be sure...

Yours (taken from your test results):
Mozilla/5.0 X11; CrOS x86_64 14541.0.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 KHTML, like Gecko Chrome/113.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

Mine:
Mozilla/5.0 X11; CrOS x86_64 14541.0.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 KHTML, like Gecko Chrome/113.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

... exact match.

So there has to be another variable.  Cases like this, it's most often extensions.

If you really need that "deal catcher" extension (or whatever it is) I suggest disabling it, until you actually need to use it.  Once you're done, turn it back off.

There are very few exceptions where I feel an extension is necessary.  Usually, you give up way more permissions that you need to, they are a major security risk.  I don't use them myself and I recommend my users also steer clear.

On 3/26/2024 at 7:47 PM, xs1 said:

1.2gbps but where I am we can get up to 2bpgs but the upgrade is like $30 more than the 1.2gbps but I've gotten 1.4 on downloads speed test on here. Not very often but sometimes. I definitely don't trust any big brands to speed test with for sure.

18 hours ago, CA3LE said:

See if you can do https://gifcap.dev/ and capture what's happening.

... or search "screen record chromeos" --- looks like they made it easy on there.

Ok, so I'm still trying to figure out how to run this gifcap.dev you sent me and record my screen. Like I said, I'm more into the exterior understanding. I'm not a coder or anything near it. It took me 2 tries to figure out how to reply to you guys. I turned off all my extensions because I thought you'd be right but it keeps doing it. It's like the screen is full then it collapses and expands again. i'll figure out how to record. If you don't see a connected video by the time you see this message please explain how to use gifcap or how to record my screen. I have no clue.

4 minutes ago, NorthIndiana84 said:

Ok, so I'm still trying to figure out how to run this gifcap.dev you sent me and record my screen. Like I said, I'm more into the exterior understanding. I'm not a coder or anything near it. It took me 2 tries to figure out how to reply to you guys. I turned off all my extensions because I thought you'd be right but it keeps doing it. It's like the screen is full then it collapses and expands again. i'll figure out how to record. If you don't see a connected video by the time you see this message please explain how to use gifcap or how to record my screen. I have no clue.

So I got it to run on my screen where it said it was sharing with gifcap.dev but I don't know how to upload it or if I need to do anything..I'll try screen record Chrome OS too. I've just not gotten a lot of time recently to play around too much

19 hours ago, CA3LE said:

See if you can do https://gifcap.dev/ and capture what's happening.

... or search "screen record chromeos" --- looks like they made it easy on there.

Also I know my device shows up as a Linux in most circumstances, I have a developer mode where it goes into that in depth type of stuff but it would take me some time to work it out.

That's a bug with the charting program.  I thought I resolved this.  I'll try to duplicate the issue on my end so I can nail it down finally.

Odd because I can't replicate it this time... at least not so far.

I'll update this topic to have you test again after I make a few edits.

On 3/26/2024 at 7:47 PM, xs1 said:

Yeah, IDK if I responded to this or not. I think I did but we can get 2gbps internet but it's like $35 or more extra a month but I get 1.2gbps advertised but I've gotten downloads in here up to just under 1.4gbps a few times and quite a few 1.3gbps or like 1290s or 1285mbps....Believe it or not I actually get what I am supposed to from them. I stay on their azzes though because they're always trying to chip me for this or for that, that's why I test fequently just to make sure it's worth it. When I only had 1gig plan I could barely get the 1gig, not even under perfect conditions but once I got the 1.2 upgrade and the XB8 I started getting top end of 1.4gbps and uploads speed of 325mbps when it's supposed to be 200. IDK if you can see my results but if you want I can post them somehow. If I'm on multithreading it's usually pretty optimal

3 minutes ago, CA3LE said:

That's a bug with the charting program.  I thought I resolved this.  I'll try to duplicate the issue on my end so I can nail it down finally.

Odd because I can't replicate it this time... at least not so far.

I'll update this topic to have you test again after I make a few edits.

Ok, no problem brother. It's still working, it's just a little trippy. Am I supposed to be doing anything else to share with you any of this data? Let me know..

1 hour ago, NorthIndiana84 said:

Ok, no problem brother. It's still working, it's just a little trippy.

Was that only happening on the My Results page or did you see that on the test results as soon as it finished the test also?

I'm loading a different version of the charts for you on My Results, it should be working normally there.

1 hour ago, NorthIndiana84 said:

Am I supposed to be doing anything else to share with you any of this data? Let me know..

Your helping out great.  Keep in touch with me and we'll get this bug nailed down.  I appreciate the help. 

Guest NorthernIndiana84
9 minutes ago, cholla said:

I don't know if this is related to the problem I had.

The solution for me was to delete & install new browsers.

No problems since.

This post is directed to me, I assume because it's in my email but should I try to delete & install new browsers or what original message says about the gif file? I think it's the first thing I mentioned or the issue with the gif because honestly I don't fully understand " I then tried your file and it hung and then errored out.  So then I thought I'd re-save it... same issue.  Then I compressed and resized it.." Once again sorry to seem so far off of this topic but I'll get it as you tell me what's what..

On 3/28/2024 at 1:21 AM, CA3LE said:

Was that only happening on the My Results page or did you see that on the test results as soon as it finished the test also?

I'm loading a different version of the charts for you on My Results, it should be working normally there.

Your helping out great.  Keep in touch with me and we'll get this bug nailed down.  I appreciate the help. 

That was as the results ran and finished. When I saw that flowy, compression, decompression of the page as I started the test, I assumed that's how it ran but once it was finished, it just keeps waving like that. Sometimes I can't even hit share results just because of the movement but today I hit it and when I did it was totally fine. I'll include a screenshot, not that it fully matters but it's still like the picture 100%.... Honestly, it's just a weird issue more than it is a hindrance to my performing tests or navigating pages. That's the only issue I can see from what I understand... These posts get very wild wild west with so many quotes in quotes in qoutes so in that I'm a little lost but I'll figure it out. I just haven't had tons of time recently plus these results have basically satisfied my real question. This is obviously a legit way to see true measurement acrossed a large spectrum of variables where as if you hit the corporate sites they try and fluff you a bit for sure...but like I said to an Admin who asked what my advertised speeds were, where I'm at next door to South bend Indiana Comcast is referred to as Xfinity but there are also 2 or 3 other fiber companies digging and laying lines so I think I get favorable service because there seems to be actual competition. My internet is advertised as 1.2 gbps and I have an XB8 modem setup right as the cable runs into the house. I have cold hard plastic trash can flipped upside down with holes drilled into it and I bought a mini-turbo fan like a decent Honeywell with 10 inch circumference which I set right in front of it and keep it running most of the time but especially when i'm running. The only issue that really pisses me off that I've still not gotten answers for is why my Acer 516 is advertised as having a 2.5 gbps Ethernet connection but when I hook into it, it hits 300 Mbps MAX and the upload speed will lock at like 1kbps. Yes I said 1 kbps. It does the weirdest stuff but I bought an adapter to the C-USB because I have those Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.2, an HDMI port, an RJ-45 2.5G Gigabit Ethernet (2.5GbE) LAN port, dual USB 3.2 Type-C ports, and a USB 3.2 Type-A port  which is exactly how it's advertised but the 3.2 type C USBs are supposed to be up to 10 gbps. It's my charger port. I bought a j5create which is high quality computer supplier as far as independent regular people. It was the best I could find. I found other comparable items. Anyways, I'm rambling.

Screenshot 2024-03-29 12.33.06 PM.png

NorthIndiana84,

The post was to you & CA3LE or anyone it might help.

For it being in your email; you probably have your  notification settings set to receive email for posts made.

For the browser issue that is what worked for me.

Keep in mind I only use portable browsers.

CA3LEFirefox & Opera.

I have IE browser as disabled as possible since Windows won't work when I completely uninstall it.

So all I have to do is delete the portable folder & put in a fresh copy.

That is not actually an "Install".

I did install Brave temporarily but did it in a sandbox program I have.

So it was gone with a reboot.

I would wait for CA3LE to respond before you uninstall & install new browsers as he might consider my problem unrelated to your problem.

For the .gif website  https://gifcap.dev/ : In never worked correctly for me.

I used my screen capture program & then converted it to an .mkv. & .gif.

I can download the .mkv from my topic & play it with VLC player.

On 4/6/2024 at 6:28 AM, ixiz said:

How can i get on the beta test list - i greatly enjoyed using this to test the FW updates on hardware 

You're already a beta tester, visit the beta introduction to get started.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.