CD-R Vs. CD-RW drives

netmasta

also, i should add that virtually every newer CD writing drive supports CD-R and CD-RW, the drive speed will be something like 52x12x52, which would be 52x write speed, 12x rewrite speed, and 52x read speed

Technically, on your system it would be 4.37 GB for DVD-5 (commonly called 4.7 GB media), 8.75 GB for DVD-10 (double sided single layered) which is what movies are placed on, 7.95 GB for DVD-9 (commonly called DL or 8.5 GB media), then 15.9 GB for DVD-18 (double sided dual layered).

I'm just wondering, is there a difference between CD-R and CD-RW drives or just the discs?

Wow, they still sell drives that are just CD-R??  :evil6:

If I were you I would just get a DVD Burner, any of them will burn both for ya :)... I personally love LITE-ON --- They make very nice drives, I had never heard of them a couple years ago when I got my first drive with them... but it turned out to be the best CD burner I ever owned, never even once gave me a problem (it's now in my moms PC, 52X LITE-ON)

A bunch of LITE-ON drives http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?submit=PROPERTY&SubCategory=5&propertycodevalue=365:6653&srchInDesc=Dual+Layer&InnerManu=1336

The one I like (for the price) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106965 - "LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 4X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache"

By they way, I always endorse New Egg just wanted to let you guys know that it's only because they kick ass.  I don't affiliate with them or make commission through them... just wanted to clear that up because I've been posting allot of their links lately  :-P -- wanted to make sure you guys don't think I'm a sell-out or anything ~~~~~  NewEgg just seriously kicks ass though, I order something and it's at my house in a couple of days, never had a problem with ANYTHING I ordered with them, never had a billing problem and I have ordered at least enough stuff to build 10 computers.  That's quite a good record!  Now you know why in almost all the comments on their site it says "NewEgg ROCKS!" ~~~~~~~~~~