Help needed with Ad-Aware.

carzy

Open Ad-Aware SE on top of interface click the little cog wheel button for Ad-Aware Configuration options -->Click on Tweak button on left --> click on Scanning Engine on top of list to open tree or the + next to it--> click Run scan as backround process (Low CPU usage) ...so that there is a green checked button next to it-->next click on bottom button Proceed-->done now start your scan with options you want.  If this is not exceptable try going into task manager after opening Ad-Aware and open Processes tab-->right click Ad-Aware.exe go to the bottom where it says Set Priority-> click Below Normal or Low so there is a little black dot next ot it--> close Task Manager-->run your scan close when done the next time you open Ad-aware the process priority will be back to normal so you would have to follow the mentioned steps again. Another idea instead of the previous two I mentioned would be to use Process Tamer (google for this program it's freeware) or another process manager type third party program.  Note that Ad-Ad-ware screen (GUI/interface often freezes during scans in normal/default speed but this does not mean it is really frozen most of the time even when it won't respond it is still working as you can see in task manager Not Responding doesn't always mean it is completely frozen as it maybe lag and just work it self out or literally catch up to itself in time so try waiting a few minutes useless your running out of virtual memory or it is interfering with other programs causing lag and it is best to run this when your doing nothing else.  Unfortunately Ad-Aware has not fixed this little annoyance/bugginess yet with any version I have used so far and I would rather use Spybot too but even that program can be sluggish during scans and laggy or unresponsive for a time but not as bad as Ad-Aware.  If you have a very fast newer processor you probably wouldn't experience this problem since programs like this are often resource hogs eating CPU time and RAM and virtual memory like little piggies.  :lol::haha:  But I am only running a 1GHz AMD and this happens to me too so I feel for you.  ;):lol: Btw many AV scanners eat resources and lag you as well in similar ways.  Hope this helps. Take it easy....  :D

Peace,

Azag

Hmm, that's a good idea... I run over eight programs when scanning my computer for stuff, and I get major lag issues while trying to turn them on one by one.  :haha:

Yeah, Ad-Aware freezes alot, however it usually comes back. If you are sitting there just starring at it, I suggest you don't, go to sleep or something. If you did go to sleep and you came back and it was frozen on directx, might be a problem.

With Ad-Aware, as soon as its done scanning the registry and when it finds entries, I always stop it and clean the registry entries it finds, then restart the scan.  I've had a hell of a time when I let it go further thru the whole scan when there are bad entries in the registry.

Hope this helps....