• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

A shortcut you may not already know about....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CA3LE

CA3LE

TestMy.net Webmaster

• Administrator
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 04:35 AM

I just want to share a cool shortcut that I found on accident today.

A nice little time saver

I use Internet Explorer 7 which has tabbed browsing.  I also use Mozilla Firefox which also has tabbed browsing.  I personally can't live without it now.  Even though I still have multiple browsers open most of the time I have a BUNCH of tabs within each and I float around many pages at once.  Some of you reading this THINK they know where this is headed... but you're WRONG jack!  You most likely think I'm about to tell you about the [ALT]+[TAB] shortcut, well I'm not... but I might as well explain that while I'm on the subject. 

1st, The Quick Application Switching Shortcut...

Better known as The QASS, just kidding that not a real accronymn, hahaha  :evil6: - Please note that this is NOT what this articles is about, so keep reading after this because you may just learn something.  But as I said before, since I have mentioned this I figure I should explain it for people who don't know what this shortcut is.

• Quick Application Switching... Type 1
    The first type is the main type and is used almost all of the time when you're talking about application switching.  To perform this action do the following...
    • hold [ALT]
    • hit [TAB]
            keep holding [ALT] and hit [TAB] over and over until your selection falls on the application you'd like to switch to.
    • release the [ALT] key
    BAM! you've quickly switched to that application with only using your keyboard.  Good job, keep it up and I'll give you a cookie later!
  • Quick Application Switching... Type 2
    If you'd like to do the same thing BUT switch between instances with-in the current program you're selected on (for instance, a program that has windows with-in the program.. such as a tabbed internet browser) hold [CTRL] instead of [ALT].  Here are the detailed rules...
    • hold [CTRL]
    • hit [TAB]
            keep holding [CTRL] and hit [TAB] over and over until your selection falls on the application you'd like to switch to.
    • release the [CTRL] key
    once again, BAM! you've quickly switched to that application with only using your keyboard.  Good job... now you get a cookie!

DOH!  I hit [TAB] TOO MANY TIMES!  DUUUR!
If you accidently tab over your item (like you hit tab too many times) instead of hitting tab a million times to get back to it you can do the same sequences but ALSO hold [^SHIFT], this will select an application in the opposite direction (even most smart asses won't know about that little trick).    :evil6:

NOW, for the shortcut that made me start this whole topic.

So if you use tabbed browsing often then you most likely do as I do, you right click on a link and go to 'open in a new tab'... right?  Well, I've found out a quicker and more conveinient way to open that link in a new tab.  Simply hold the [CTRL] key and click the link.  Very cool!  I'm sure some of you already know about this but it's new for me so shut up!  :)

Also, try [CTRL] + Q (currently IE7 ONLY) to pull up a page showing thumbnails of all your tabs in the browser.. another very cool shortcut.

Enjoy this little time saver.  And if you didn't know about the quick application switch then if you play with that you will find that it will save you TONS of time.  If you work with shortcuts enough then you may even get to the point where I'm at, where you rarely use a mouse.  And once you get to that point you will find out just how much a mouse slows you down.  ;-)

Who the hell needs a mouse anyway :P - mice are for old people!

-D

#2 tdawnaz

tdawnaz

TMN Secretary

• TMN Secretary
  • 8,252 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:40 AM

oh my gosh...this is so cool...why did u never show me this...ass :haha: :smitten:

#3 mudmanc4

mudmanc4

TMN Seasoned Veteran

• Moderators
  • 10,645 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:42 AM

Good tips, how the heck did this get buried ?

#4 tdawnaz

tdawnaz

TMN Secretary

• TMN Secretary
  • 8,252 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:51 AM

i dunno...but i know that u and dlewis23 have some really cool guides for mac users...care to share?? :smitten:

edit: oops...forgot where i was...was lost...but now i'm found...was blind but now i see :)

#5 mudmanc4

mudmanc4

TMN Seasoned Veteran

• Moderators
  • 10,645 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:10 PM

i dunno...but i know that u and dlewis23 have some really cool guides for mac users...care to share?? :smitten:

edit: oops...forgot where i was...was lost...but now i'm found...was blind but now i see :)

Have a drink, it helps, at least thats what I'm doin right now.  I'll get that one up soon, just have a bit more to prove before directing someone into the depths of disparity from my cause.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Speed Test Version 14.12
© 2014 TestMy Net LLC - TestMy.net - Terms & Privacy