Directx Hardware version???

Guest PeePs

Ok, so I just got this new video card so I could run HL 2 at decent speeds. My other Power supply was too weak (250 watts)  so we got a new one installed along with the new video card. Before anything else I installed the latest drivers from the Nvidia website, and Directx 9.0c. When i fired up HL 2 and did the video stress test i was VERY disappointed with my scores. On the lowest possible settings i got a whopping 60 FPS. In the video settings at the bottom it has:

Software DirectX Version: 9.0

Hardware DirectX Version: 8.1

I was wondering if its possible to make the hardware directx 9, or if it's something built into the card.

Oh yeah:

video card : GeForce 5700 LE 256 MB.

processor : 2800 XP

memory : 512 MB

blajh blah;aklaw

Nope, not possible. Btw, there isn't much graphical difference between 9.0 and 8.1, but 8.1 is faster because of the lower requirements.

You should be happy with 60 fps. I doubt I'd get more than 10 with this rig. I have no idea what's wrong with it.

The human eye can handle up to 200 fps, possibly more. Don't underestimate our body...

I lost the link to the article tho.

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

That is true, it has been tested by the military human eye can see well over 200 fps  ;-)  ~~ I thought the same and I listened to other people for a long time till I found the truth myself.

:D Aha thanks CA3LE GUY .....know the truth and the truth shall set you free(whatever that means)  I thought I had heard or read something but I wasn't sure.......Bamm thats what makes this stuff so cool... :)  fiction or fact from the Internet  almanac  lol

8) Microwave

I think high FPS is overrated, with old game engines high fps gave a good adventage cos you could see your opponent faster and so on. I dont think its like that with new games.

Most videocards have a minimal refresh rate of 60 Hz and if you get 60fps+ your fine

the problems accure when fps is lower then the display refresh in Hz

UT2004 for example has by default DisplayRefresh set to 60, so if you know your average fps is above 100 then increase Display Refresh to 100 Hz, that give a smoother game, but i daubt you have very big adventage.

VanBuren :)

Yeah, I noticed that in Halo 1 high FPS wasn't required to win. I could play along just fine on 10 fps. Later I found out that I had maxed out my AA & AF settings, and forgot to set them back.

For games like quake3 you really want a smooth framerate, otherwise your pace slows down, and you die more often. Also the physics are better at about 125 fps. Strange but true.

:lol:

i used to play one of the first multiplayer FPS game made, its Outlaws, a wildwest shooter, that game was all fps and have a laggy connection

I had 1000 fps top and a average of around 600 while playing, that game was actually running faster with that amount of fps and i could see ppl alot faster then they could see me if they played with vsync on and 60 fps hehe

luckely new games, is more fair, antilag coding and no big adventage in high fps

VanBuren :)

fps and computer speed in counterstrike, is a must . I am no novice at counterstrike, yet i get easily killed by newbies who are still trying to figure out how to drop their weapons because of my slow comp speed. :lol:

I went from a P3 1GHz to this system, and I've been owning better than ever. Fun thing is, I was a killer a few years ago in Q3, then lost the CD, when I got it back I was a

fps and computer speed in counterstrike, is a must . I am no novice at counterstrike, yet i get easily killed by newbies who are still trying to figure out how to drop their weapons because of my slow comp speed. :lol:

:haha:  I got killed so easy because I'm a terrible gamer....LOL I do enjoy but Im just a lousy player...........LOL

:oops: Microwave