What Testmy is missing -> reverse traceroute -> better bandwidth

addi

testmy is missing a very critical tool for testing, reverse traceroute.

If you had a way for us to test the path from testmy.net back to the ip of my home IP address it would be very helpful.

Also if testmy.net had better bandwidth, that would be much more helpful.

I am not impressed with the peering of theplanet/softlayer (testmy's bandwidth provider). They seem to have over subscribed bandwidth to some networks (qwest), and really good peering with cable companies. This confuses people that dont understand how the internet works. Notice how only comcast, and a few other cable companies have high speeds? its because softlayer is over subscribed on their level3, and qwest links.

testmy get a geographically diverse site from a different bandwidth provider!

What would be really cool would be if testmy offered something like iperf so we can run udp tests and verify softlayers bandwidth congestion.

http://bgp.he.net/AS21844#_graph4

Internet is always morphing into another phase, many times overlapping and causing grief to one system or group.

Peering issue are cropping up everywhere as nodes become more congested, forcing innovation from the top down to the end user. Ultimately it's left in the hands of the end user to decide which if any options are available. Although most sectors are controlled by allocation for no other reason then financial. Until we get past the political mandates that allow this behavior, you could jockey around from one area to another and always have one or more issues. Where staying in one place , geographically speaking offers long term benefits over constantly moving the benchmark base around.

Although i agree there are issues , I would have to submit these are not geographical issues. Reflecting the concerns above, as peering, this is geographical ( end user dependent ). Which takes us back to the arguable political aspects and reasonings behind the ISP allocations.

More tools are never a bad idea, time and development are left to that.

For the speeds that I work with, I find Testmy results compare favorably with tools used by a network engineer. I really appreciate Testmy's tools particularly the data logging and flexibility of selecting test file sizes. It works for me. I have submitted a suggestion to add a QOS calculation to the data log csv file. For me, that would be of great benefit in understanding variations in speed at different times of the day.

I was testing from a 1gig Qwest fiber connection in a data center in Utah, and only got 17mbit/sec downloads off testmy.net

The Qwest fiber link I was using to test with only 200mbit/sec usage at the time, and Qwest was deffinatly not over subsribed.

I was mostly venting by posting in this forum, I have had customers complain about why they dont get good speeds to testmy.net.

I looked at the leader board and saw very few people with speeds over 100mbit. Also testmy.net didnt list the traceroute with the speed tests of the leaders, or the IP address of the person doing the tests wich would be helpful.

http speed test sites are quick, and nearly usless.

iperf works the best if you have servers on both ends of the connections you are testing.

Hey Addi,

I can't pull my full speeds on 1G lines either... It could be a limitation of the host computer. Realize that for connections as fast as yours... you can't realy max them out here. It's going through your browser so any browser limitations also come into play. I've even noticed that hard drive speed can be a factor in your results here (on really fast connections that becomes noticeable after a SSD upgrade for instance). Your computer has to be able to quickly process the amount of information that's being loaded into the browser. ...This is not just a simple test of your Internet, that's just how it started.

In the future I plan on releasing command line testing utilities that will make testing on those types of connections REALLY accurate.

Thanks for the feedback and support

Hey Addi,

I can't pull my full speeds on 1G lines either... It could be a limitation of the host computer. Realize that for connections as fast as yours... you can't realy max them out here. It's going through your browser so any browser limitations also come into play. I've even noticed that hard drive speed can be a factor in your results here (on really fast connections that becomes noticeable after a SSD upgrade for instance). Your computer has to be able to quickly process the amount of information that's being loaded into the browser. ...This is not just a simple test of your Internet, that's just how it started.

In the future I plan on releasing command line testing utilities that will make testing on those types of connections REALLY accurate.

Thanks for the feedback and support

The hard drive is a big one with really fast connections. But I've also noticed that the NIC can come into play with really fast connections. Even tho they are gigabyte I've noticed that some cheap ones can't manage any kind of sustained transfers at high speed.