TestMy.net Beta program

CA3LE

TMN Beta  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Want to use the beta?

I have A LOT of upcoming releases, many of which are going to be built around a new concept.  Because there is so much core programming being changed I'm going to do something I've never done.

I normally work on the site live and things are released as I write them... if your in the right place at the right time and you pay enough attention you can see me building sometimes.  Well, I really feel that the version I have out right now is INCREDIBLY stable... I don't want to disturb any testing or use of the site.  So I'm going to offer a beta program for those who wish to join.

To join, vote Yes on the poll above. I'll add you to a special member group and you'll be emailed with updates.  You'll also have an option in your menu that will allow you to switch between beta and release.  Smaller updates will be globally available but the major ones will be held back for the beta testers to play with first.  This will help find bugs before public release.  When I'm satisfied with the code I'll offer an option for a while to the general public to turn on the beta... after general public beta testing I'll then release it to the final.  We'll then start the whole process again for another round.

This is going to be really hard for me to do, I really hate to hold new stuff back.  But maybe doing it this way will help me spend less time on bug checking and more time of actually building.

I'm one person.  Your help with this is appreciated.  Everyone who has ever submitted a comment... you've already helped build this site.  I started with a vison but you guys expanded it.  If I'm going to keep bringing those ideas to paper I really need your help.  I have at least a couple thousand hours of programming planned just for the next 3-6 months. I need to use my time effectively, spending hundreds of hours searching for bugs is not using my time wisely.  Register (If you haven't already), vote yes above and I'll email you later when I have more information. Then, you can tell your friends that you helped build this site.   :wink:

Thanks
-D

I really appreciate your website. Before I moved my upload speed was around 5Mb/s according to the most popular flash site and was also the speed I was paying for. When I live streamed video I had trouble with a max bitrate of 3.5Mb/s. Your speed test put my connection at a stable upload of just over 3Mb/s. When I adjusted my video upload bitrate to 3Mb/s all my issues went away.

I've been recommending the website to all fellow streamers and gamers who would like to have a better idea of where their speeds really are.

I really appreciate your website. Before I moved my upload speed was around 5Mb/s according to the most popular flash site and was also the speed I was paying for. When I live streamed video I had trouble with a max bitrate of 3.5Mb/s. Your speed test put my connection at a stable upload of just over 3Mb/s. When I adjusted my video upload bitrate to 3Mb/s all my issues went away.

I've been recommending the website to all fellow streamers and gamers who would like to have a better idea of where their speeds really are.

Thanks. Are you talking about twitch.tv? Been getting more traffic from their users chat rooms lately.

I appreciate the feedback and spreading the word, very cool.

• 3 months later...

What are the qualifications for beta Testers...could I screw something up and cause TMN to go down in flames ? thanks for your reply.  :icon_jokercolor: <<< scale of my intelligence, but harmless.  :stop:

You just have to want to try new stuff... it's as harmless as using the site normally.

... I have something beta out right now.  I see you voted above.  I've added you to the beta users.  Read the topic at https://testmy.net/ipb/topic/30918-tracemynet/ (hint: if you're not a beta user, the password is beta)

During the beta period enjoy the additional features that others don't have yet.  Also enjoy an ad free TMN experience.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I think what sets this site apart is the capability for automated testing. Many of the problems i have faced so far were systems with multiple configuration flaws in them, and the only way to track those problems is with a good time-history of the speed. I managed to go up from ~5mbit to ~50 average, on a line that is supposed to support 120. I wouldn't have found many of the problems i did without that functionality.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/26/2013 at 10:59 AM, CA3LE said:

I have A LOT of upcoming releases, many of which are going to be built around a new concept.  Because there is so much core programming being changed I'm going to do something I've never done.

I normally work on the site live and things are released as I write them... if your in the right place at the right time and you pay enough attention you can see me building sometimes.  Well, I really feel that the version I have out right now is INCREDIBLY stable... I don't want to disturb any testing or use of the site.  So I'm going to offer a beta program for those who wish to join.

To join, vote Yes on the poll above. I'll add you to a special member group and you'll be emailed with updates.  You'll also have an option in your menu that will allow you to switch between beta and release.  Smaller updates will be globally available but the major ones will be held back for the beta testers to play with first.  This will help find bugs before public release.  When I'm satisfied with the code I'll offer an option for a while to the general public to turn on the beta... after general public beta testing I'll then release it to the final.  We'll then start the whole process again for another round.

This is going to be really hard for me to do, I really hate to hold new stuff back.  But maybe doing it this way will help me spend less time on bug checking and more time of actually building.

I'm one person.  Your help with this is appreciated.  Everyone who has ever submitted a comment... you've already helped build this site.  I started with a vison but you guys expanded it.  If I'm going to keep bringing those ideas to paper I really need your help.  I have at least a couple thousand hours of programming planned just for the next 3-6 months. I need to use my time effectively, spending hundreds of hours searching for bugs is not using my time wisely.  Register (If you haven't already), vote yes above and I'll email you later when I have more information. Then, you can tell your friends that you helped build this site.   ;)

Thanks
-D

Suggestion: Would be nice, if once one found the Fastest Server; that this server( or group of Servers)  could be somehow locked in, so our device would then use found fastest Server. Naturally, this would need an override(on-off switch) for those using VPN, thanks.

Prof. Jeffrey Rath 

• CA3LE unpinned this topic
  • CA3LE pinned this topic