b/g/n/ac wifi conflicting results

CA3LE

I run 802.11 b/g/n/ac in my house.  Sometimes my laptop for instance will feel laggy on my AC network, I run a speed test and it's obvious even before the results page that something's wrong.  I switch to my N network, retest and pull my full speed.  

A couple of times I've reset my router and issue resolved but the last time it was due to improper router placement.  ... I knew it would be an issue but I put it there anyways.  I wanted to see how much of an issue.

We recently rearranged our bedroom and the bed was to go on the wall where I have my modem and router.  I put them in our bedroom because it's the best placement in our home, right on a central interior wall.  After moving things around we put the router under the bed... things appeared to run fine at first but then devices connected to ac wifi weren't running right.  I went in the bedroom and pulled the bed away from the wall and didn't touch anything else.  Went back to my laptop and hit 'retest' ... immediately apparent that was the issue.

I just used 4 medium 3M strips (I love those) and stuck it to the wall about a foot above the ground.  Works better than ever.  Hidden off to the side of the bed behind a (wooden) nightstand.

post-2-0-39086000-1407436065_thumb.jpg

My N network seemed almost totally unaffected by comparison.  So I want to give you the heads up that if you have more than one wifi network running... try switching the network.  If one runs much better than the other it might be a clue.  They run on different frequencies and can be affected by different factors.  When AC is running at < 1 Mbps and N is running at > 100 Mbps it's a pretty major clue that it's wifi interference.  Realize that it doesn't always have to affect both ranges.  ... I was also only a few feet from the router with only 1 wall between.  Most likely the cause in this case, the metal bed frame and metal in the box spring created a partial faraday cage around the router.

Correct me if I'm wrong but ac is 5Ghz right? I imagine the metal Springs in your mattress were causing interference or there is something in a interior wall causing interference but looks like you already came to that conclusion aswell 5Ghz band can be really finicky

Why would you want to hide that thing of beauty behind a nightstand?

You're absolutely right but... happy wife happy life.

Correct me if I'm wrong but ac is 5Ghz right? I imagine the metal Springs in your mattress were causing interference or there is something in a interior wall causing interference but looks like you already came to that conclusion aswell 5Ghz band can be really finicky

Yes, it's 5GHz... as soon as the bed was moved my speed returned to 100 Mbps+.

You're absolutely right but... happy wife happy life.

Yes, it's 5GHz... as soon as the bed was moved my speed returned to 100 Mbps+.

When the net gets funky around here (and I'm that old school everything wired kinda guy) - the wife always pays me a visit with her kind words. 

So yea, gotta keep everything running at least 5GHz   :laughing7: