Verizon 5g

Rwagspeed

On 3/27/2022 at 11:55 PM, Rwagspeed said:

What do you think about this mobile 5G everything right now i've been paying for 5guw after nose for about a year. In my Samsung s20 Fe doesn't even have the capabilities to read verizon's 5 g's bands yet the phone is called 5guw

I was with Verizon for over 17 years. I left because they got me with the whole bait & switch false advertising of the Samsung Note 10+ 5G. Sold me the phone for $1299 , waited MONTHS than they say "oh yea, this phone will never see 5G; Verizon switched to 5G UWB & these phones will never support such."  After calling customer service, pissed, they were willing to "credit $100" for the trouble on a phone that costed well over a grand at that time which promised 5G that was never there. I canceled my subscription that day and switched to T-Mobile 5G; A little spotty in some areas but overall acceptable. 

Screenshot_20210729-173308_Speedtest.jpg.a70dc85148147c30128f139bda1267cd.thumb.jpg.82effa2a9de41e48467f1318ce9dae60.jpg

14 minutes ago, xs1 said:

I was with Verizon for over 17 years. I left because they got me with the whole bait & switch false advertising of the Samsung Note 10+ 5G.

Ooooh man, I'd be pissed too. I would have left them too and ever since I'd be looking for the class action suit that I'm sure is in the works. If it isn't, maybe it should be.

Verizon carried that phone with 5G branding, if they ended up not using the tech in favor of something else --- well, then that's okay too (technology changes) but they need to reimburse the customers who thought they were future proofing themselves. You can't sell it branded as 5G then later say, "oh, it's 5G but not the kind we use." -- "WTF! I bought it from YOU!"        "I think they might use those bands in Malaysia or Cambodia, maybe think of moving."

I had something similar but different recently happen with Verizon. I have a pixel 2, which I still love. Came out October 2017. So a little over 4 years old now. Google stopped updates for it last year. But still, overall it's a great device. Fast, responsive, does what you tell it to do... and Verizon will have 4G for a long time, so this device should remain compatible, right?

WRONG! As they retire the 3G CDMA network they're also killing all 4G non-VoLTE (Voice over LTE) devices December 31st 2022. They gave a warning but nothing else. Even $300 off would have made me happy, come on - SOMETHING! Basically, I got "you'll be kicked off the network unless you upgrade."

In my case, I needed to upgrade. Was planning one soon anyway (really shouldn't have gone this long in the business I'm in but it's such an awesome device!). But for most people, my Pixel 2 is still a perfectly good device - great even. They could allow it to continue to use data... but no.

I ended up with the S22 Ultra but am still walking around my house with my Pixel 2... haha.

oie_3RJdLHgOR4Bv.jpeg

All of the best devices are always FORCED to die eventually. More planned, forced obsolescence is all we can expect in the future.

I'm Cheap.

I had a 3G phone until it quit & I had to replace it.

PITA to change to newer phone.

I got a 4G VoLTE because it was cheaper & will work for now.

I paid $29.99 for a new LG.

It is a Tracfone.

The carrier is Verizon.

I don't do Internet with a cell phone.

I disconnect everything it will let me concerning the Internet.

I only use my cell as a phone & a camera.

You will see the Devil on ice skates before I pay $1299.00 for a cell phone

2 hours ago, CA3LE said:

As they retire the 3G CDMA network they're also killing all 4G non-VoLTE (Voice over LTE) devices December 31st 2022. They gave a warning but nothing else. Even $300 off would have made me happy, come on - SOMETHING! Basically, I got "you'll be kicked off the network unless you upgrade."

Having heard the US 3G shutdown news from over here, I'm surprised they did not bother to create a workaround for unsupported smartphones.  It would just have been a matter of Verizon creating a simple App to handle voice calls and text messages via 4G data to replace the default dialler App, which even the oldest smartphones would be capable of (I remember using VoIP apps back in 2012).  Sure it would take a little getting used to using an App to dial out or for SMS, but better than losing voice/text services entirely until the user upgrades.  It's not like the App would need to be anything special either like WhatsApp to handle multimedia, video calling, etc.

With the budget network I'm with (48 Ireland), they only support 3G roaming at present, so I can imagine this will be an issue if I visit the USA after the 3G switch-off.  European law will soon require mobile operators to offer like-home connectivity when roaming throughout the EU, so it's likely they will offer 4G roaming even outside the EU when that happens.  While the 48 network only offers 4G in Ireland with its partner network Three, it occasionally switches to 5G:

TestMy on 48 5G.png

19 hours ago, CA3LE said:

1:

Ooooh man, I'd be pissed too. I would have left them too and ever since I'd be looking for the class action suit that I'm sure is in the works. If it isn't, maybe it should be.

"oh, it's 5G but not the kind we use." -- "WTF! I bought it from YOU!"        "I think they might use those bands in Malaysia or Cambodia, maybe think of moving."

2:

I ended up with the S22 Ultra but am still walking around my house with my Pixel 2... haha.

1:  I actually lol'd on this. XD  This was the general consensus of many....MANY people and Verizon pretty much said F.U. to all its unhappy customers; @ one point even trying to disgustingly blame Samsung for " Not implementing multi-bands of 5G from the factory".  The thing that really put the nail in the coffin for me was i just bought a Samsung Note 8 not even a year prior, ($899) and just brought it in for an issue i was having with media loading... than they were like " We've got a deal for you!!" 🙄

2: NGL, never imagined you having anything less than the newest of new mobile tech.... Glad to see you can still surprise us after all these moons, D ;)

@ Sean

When you come to the USA it will depend on your carrier.

My old carrier was AT&T.They ended 3G service Feb, 29,2022.

Even though I stayed with Tracfone my carrier is Verizon as Tracfone farms out carriers.

So I guess technically I could have kept the old cell until Dec. 31,2022.

That is Verizon's last 3G date in the USA.

The other main ones are in between these dates.

I liked my old LG306G cell.

It was much smaller than the LG L322DL.

I prefer smaller.

I was also able to buy a bullet proof case for the LG306G.

It covered the screen (when not in use) & has a clip.

Thicker rubber also.

I got an OK case for the new cell but it doesn't cover the screen.

The rubber is also thinner.

The screen is a lot larger.

@ xs1 I wouldn't pay $899.00 for a cell either.

On 4/4/2022 at 6:17 AM, xs1 said:

2: NGL, never imagined you having anything less than the newest of new mobile tech.... Glad to see you can still surprise us after all these moons, D ;)

NGL - Normally I would have upgraded in 2020 ... other things came up.   lol  :haha:

On 4/4/2022 at 1:39 PM, cholla said:

@ xs1 I wouldn't pay $899.00 for a cell either.

Yeah Yeah Yeah.. 😂

On 4/5/2022 at 2:46 PM, CA3LE said:

NGL - Normally I would have upgraded in 2020 ... other things came up.   lol  :haha:

Heard that. 👍