Bios beep code help!!!!

prairiedogsplatr

I built a pc reciently and it runs fast as ever. The only problem with it is that it sometimes throws a code. It throws the code mainly at boot and it is a very long code. it is one steady beep lasting a few seconds and it continues to do so past windows being loaded. Everything works fine on the pc except for this annoying code. It eventually stops. Just recently it did it while the pc was idol. Gigabyte hasnt responded to me and i only got a few days left to return any hardware. The mobo is a GA-M61P-S3

hAS 2 GIG OF G-Skill ram ddr2800 sata2 drive and sata dvd burner. It is Am2 with a 4800+ dual core. Anyone has any sugestions please  help.

My guess is the bios is just wack and i hope that what it is. I have tried replaceing the ram dims in various styles still does it. Tried even 1 stick. Everything on the pc is brand new put together by me. I have never had any problems with stuff i made. All drivers are off the cd.

Somebody help please :(

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One long beep is not a bios code. Bios codes are short and more then one. Also the computer wont function when there is bios codes. This is something else. Make sure everything is configured in the bios correctly. and everything is plugged in correctly.

Dlewis, do you agree with my idea....1 beep has to be a refresh code...try resetting the ram....  thats the answer i got from numerous sites...

anyways, yeh bios codes are like 3 short beeps for memory, 1 long and 2 short for video card (i think thats the one for video card)  :smile2:

It is one long beep that continues during the boot into windows even. Then it starts over again. Does this about 7 times or so. Sometimes does this wehn idol but the pc works fine just the sound. The sound comes directly from the motherboard. Everything had been plugged in back again. If it was a cord i would think it wouldnt work at all.

Except for beep code #8, these codes are always fatal.

1 beep Refresh failure

- try reseating the memory, if the error still occurs, replace the memory

2 beeps Parity error

3 beeps Base 64K memory failure

4 beeps Timer not operational, system board bad

5 beeps Processor error, system board bad

6 beeps 8042 - gate A20 failure, try reseating the keyboard controller chip

7 beeps Processor exception interrupt error, system board bad

8 beeps Display memory video card read/write failure error, replace video memory or video card

9 beeps ROM checksum error, faulty BIOS chip(s), must replace them

10 beeps CMOS shutdown register read/write error, system board bad

11 beeps Cache memory bad

Ok i think i need to clarify this. By beep i mean a long sound that does not acually sound like a beep more of a buzz but it is a sound produced by the motherboard. kinda like a hum but it is electronic not hardware noise as in somthing failing but a deffinate sound produced by a machine. The "beep" lasts for at least 3-5 seconds then starts over. It is a continuis beep that has no pauses unlike bios beep codes. They sound differant then this.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

So, its more of a buzz....and you're positive it comes from the motherboard and not something else hardware like the hard drive? because my harddrive buzzed and started clicking before it died...

anyways...if its more of a buzz im not sure yet..i'll look into it some more. and post with results..

You didn't mention your power supply...Perhaps you have a faulty PSU.

My stepfather bought a barebone system, and the psu was bad out of the box.  It made a sound similar to what you describe.  It was not really a beep, but similar.  The sound came directly from the motherboard, and like yours, would sometimes persist past boot up. They sent a replacement psu and the sound went away.

Try another psu, and see if it does the same thing if you can.

Cold this possibly be a faulty CPU fan?  I have had several fan make " tone " sounding noises when the bearings are bad. Even though it may be new, Sometimes there still defective. In fact, I have a USB HDD enclosure that has had a bad fan from the day I turned it on. Once it warms up, it quiets down.

CPU fan is good runs great and i had the side off one time during the sound so i know its not failing. This is also a steady tone stoping after a few seconds then starting back up. It is very intune with being exacty in timings. As for the power supply i do not have a spare but i got one in a spare pc i may have to put it in there. But before i do i am gona hook my psu tester up to every cord and see the voltages. That was another guess is the psu but in my experience if it is the psu either it wont boot or will cause stuff to freeze such as mouse, keyboard, or causing it to reboot never had a psu make a code sound and the whole system be fine. Also when the code is going off i check all system components and they seem to be fine and running great this is why i am so puzzled

In the BIOS , of many MB's there are settings for tempurature settings" .   If you have these settings, then it could be that you are running a bit hot, if you are clocking, or the temp warning  threshold is not tuned properly. This could cause a bios code . Kind of sounds like morse code. Made me think when you said this happens @ idle as well.  But it sure sounds like a fan , from what you explain.

Hello Im new here...

Let's try to figure it out...

Remove all unnecessary components you have their. Just leave components that will makes your pc boot. If you have built-in video card use it instead...remove your hdd, fdd, cdrom, etc that are unnessary. 5 things are important power supply, motherboard, memory, processor, video card(use the built-in)...

Try first my suggestion above,

Ok this time i figured it out partially. I dont know why but last time the cpu fan was on this time it was not. Maken me think that it is either a power problem. But most likely not. A fan problem. If that was the case noises wuld be happening. or a mobo problem. My guess is it is a setting someware any help or suggestions?

I think there is a way to make it so the fan never stops but having a brain fart. anyone know?

Are you suggesting stopping the CPU fan?  If so, not good.  What you could do is when the " beep" is occuring, briefly attempt to halt the fan by hand to see if this is the culprit. Inspect the fan while the unit is off, to verify the center, usually flat, where you wont harm your finger.

When exactly did you see the CPU fan not on? Was is when the machine was running? If so, there lies the problem. As the CPU fan is required 100% of operating time, if the machine is powered on, posting, sleeping, hibernating, anything, the fan will run. At least I have not heard of any other option.