Elite.Pete

testmy.net Folding@Home team

792 posts in this topic

Hi All :wave:

It's Been a while and I'm Sorry for that as I have not been using my Spare PC for Folding

But its back, Now converted it to a Home Server and its running 24/7

So yes I have Installed F@H on it, and it will keep running :thumbsup:

mudmanc4 likes this

Hi All :wave:

It's Been a while and I'm Sorry for that as I have not been using my Spare PC for Folding

But its back, Now converted it to a Home Server and its running 24/7

So yes I have Installed F@H on it, and it will keep running :thumbsup:

Holy moses haven't seen that name in a while. :)

Yea myself as well, I'll fold for a while then drop off, come across something and start up again. 

So I think when I find out what my electric bill will be each month (should find out the first or second week of october) I may start folding again. I'll have to do some reconfig on my PC to get it ready though. (Been a while since it's done any folding or had any real maintenance, maybe I'll start on that tonight, play some BF3 and then scape crap out of my compter, in a figurative sense.)

Thanks,

EBrown

mudmanc4 likes this

Running even at the lowest setting is great! We need a few folders to come in and get our team rank moving again.

Even 10 points per day is fine, perfect actually.

Well if I do it I'll just throw it on max settings. I just need to make sure that leaving my computer on doesn't kill my electric bill. (I throw it in Hibernate mode when I'm asleep or otherwise not home, so the energy impact is minimal.)

Thanks,

EBrown

You can always offset your machines energy use by keeping your icebox stocked with gallon jugs of water. Which would obvious keep the tempuratures more stable, and allow the compressor to run less often.

Well I'll find out what my monthly bill will be first, so I have a good baseline with which to work from.

Based on my math if I were to allow my PC to fold constantly, it would cost at most ~$78/mo. Which is fine, as far as the electric bill goes so long as it doesn't push it very far over $250 or so.

The only thing I worry about is the HDD and such, it's not a high-quality HDD. (Maybe soon I'll buy a pair of SSD's for it.)

My last Work Unit was 12 Sept 2013...I'm way off the grid.

Thanks,

EBrown

Well that $78 is assuming it runs at full power (730W) 24/7. Should end up drawing 525.6kWh, and at $0.148/kWh, runs to $77.7888.

Not sure on it's actual usage, but that's the estimate based on the max draw of the PSU. Probably uses around ~500W in reality, which would be $53.28/mo ish. I might also throw the two Super-Micro's I have here in on the Folding. Not sure of their power consumption though. (I'll probably get a couple APC backup devices soon and use them to measure power consumption, as well as provide battery backup.)

Thanks,

EBrown

I don't know the amperage per hour.

The electric bill is calculated of kWh, so if you are drawing 6.63 amps (rough estimate of my PSU on 110V at full load) then you have .73kW, so over 1 hour it's calculated as .73kWh, over two hours it's 1.46kWh, etc.

Thanks,

EBrown

Good news! I'm folding again!

The 9800GT has been depricated as far as Folding support, so it won't be working unfortunately. But the GTX 560 TI is kicking away. (I thought I had a major issue because I only saw 100% CPU usage but it's working now.)

Thanks,

EBrown

CA3LE likes this

I don't know how long I'll be able to fold, it's really taxing that machine.

Maybe when I build my next computer I will set this one up just for folding.

Thanks,

EBrown

I don't know how long I'll be able to fold, it's really taxing that machine.

Maybe when I build my next computer I will set this one up just for folding.

Thanks,

EBrown

Change the config.

Even after I changed the config up a bit it didn't help, this thing is bogged down hard.

I'll be playing with it this weekend maybe. I have a programming project to start up this weekend though.

Thanks,

EBrown

Even after I changed the config up a bit it didn't help, this thing is bogged down hard.

I'll be playing with it this weekend maybe. I have a programming project to start up this weekend though.

Thanks,

EBrown

Interesting for sure. never had an issue with slowing down what cycles F@H is able to use, interested in hearing what you find.