Your first PC

SteveH11

Good day people. Here's one For ya:<br><br>What are the hardware specs for the first PC you ever built from the ground up. Include the year and cost.<br><br>ABIT mobo<br>Pentium II @ 266MHz<br>ATI expert @ play AGP 1x vid card <br>Diamond Monster 3dfx addon vid card<br>SoundBlaster AWE 64 gold sound card<br>64 meg SDRAM <br>6 gig 5400rpm HD<br>Viewsonic 19" monitor.<br>Altec/Lansing 200 watt sound w/sub <br>Microsoft Ergonomic keys<br>Logitech mouseman<br>16 x Creative CDrom<br>56k USRobotics modom...Upgraded to V90...WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!I <br><br>I thought I was the BOMB. Then 3 weeks later P III comes out. I believe it was December 98/Jan99 And I spent 2500 bucks. It amazes me what 2500 would buy now. Have fun Y'all.<br><br>Steve<br><br>edited to save space.

It's amazing to see how quickly technology went up back then. They've been stuck at the below 4 gig mark for some time.(granted that's all about to change with 64 bit and sli.) When I built that machine it was state of the art...with the exception of the 266 P2. I could've chosen a 300 MHz processor, but opted for the 3dfx card. Quake 2 screamed on that machine.

486 pentium.

4x cd rom

8mb of ram

15" monitor

i dont remember what video it had in.

The BIGGEST soundcard I have ever seen, i still have it I think

Mouse

Keyboard

8gb hard drive

This was in the mid 90's I believe

Paid roughly $2500 for it,

Now I have a

P4 3.2ghz

1024mb ram

cheapo cd burner

nvidia 5700 ultra

Sound Blaster 2. 160GB HDD

Paid about 900 bucks for it.... goes to show as technology advanced, prices went down

Pentium MMX 200 mhrz

EDO ram 80. (Plus 16 built in.)

Voodoo2 16 megs

17" CRT

56k v90

3 gig hd

All for $50

It came with others, and the motherboard could go up to 233 mhrz and 128 ram. lol... 2 PCI and 2 ISA(sp?) ports.

Build in USB, but the company made a booboo and the motherboard couldn't support it yet, it had the ports.

LoL, talk about price.

1995, Packard Bell, store bought, around $2500.

486 33 MHz (upgraded to 66 MHz)

4 MB Ram (upgraded to 12 MB)

210 MB Hard Drive (upgraded to 2 Gigs)

2400 Baud modem

Sound and Video dont recall.

First real computer, before that a Commodore Vic20.

WMMC...who even made video for 486 era pc's? Was your modem the kind where you stuck the phone ear/mouth into a reciever ??? 4 meg of ram used to be so much eh ??? Back then though, that PC was probably awesome.<br><br>Did you run that 1st windows ? could win 95 run on it. ?

Internal modem, before I had the chance to upgrade the modem got another much faster PC.

Edit: Forgot about OS.

At first it was Windows for Workgroups 3.11 then bought Win 95 upgrade.

Sept. 1997....bought all parts at a computer fair in topsfield, mass. from a shady character with a tractor-trailer full of parts:

Case:        Acer

Mobo/CPU: mobo was never known; CPU was a horrific 1st generation Pentium100 mhz.

RAM:          2x16mb SDRam..

HD:            ~800 Mb. & very slowwwwwww  lol

Audio:        Turtle Beach

Video:          Acer on-board if i recall; it was total gypsy

Modem:        originally a 14.4 external; big upgrade to 56k right before we dropped it of the roof  at my job ( 8 stories )....

Signs of the Times:

AOL 2.0 was all the rage...

Prodigy Internet was still in business...

Netscape was preferred over IE...

Millions of Win95 users hacked by BackOrifice due to a default file-sharing setting in Win95...

Thank God, time marches on ~!  ;) ;)

-JxL

first was not a pc, but a mac (prox 1991)

a Mac IIsi

had a 20 mhz processor (could actually hear it writing on the 3.5 floppy) :haha:

80 mb hard drive :haha:

the first "real" graphics prog was aldus freehand... it came on 4 or 6 floppys... :haha:

don't remember the cost, but it was real expensive :haha:

paired with a laser printer, a HP laser jet III, spent thousands on it ( $2,000 or $3,000) :haha:

how times have changed

p.s all those laughs are because it sux to cry

Samsung 286 or 265, 33MHz with no hard drive but a hugh 5.25 inch floppy

of cos with awesome DOS black and white display

ah good ole days!! :haha:

I paid some what 1200 dollars or more? dont remember, compare to my freind's commodore with his12 inch kitchen TV hooked up mine was state of the art in that time

Well.... I have never built my own either. My father built all of mine. Now that he is gone i will have to build my own..... It almost seems cheaper to buy them. I did have one of the old TI's with the tape player hard drive. Spent many hours programing. Sad thing is got into high school and the ti-85 i used was the same thing basically.

I don't exactly had that first computer, but it was first computer in my house. as much as i remember it was 386 with 10mb harddrive. and the game of "Digger" was wooow!!!

i used to think to myself that what else can we expect now that we have 3inch floopy and game like digger and also a "Turbo" button which use to make game work fast.

well thats all i remember about my first computer.