I have over 50mbps coming from my modium.

rabovee

When you say you have 50 Mbps from your modem, do you mean that that's what the ISP plan your on is supposed to be for a max speed?

Is it about 25 Mbps here on this site?

Is it about 25 Mbps at all times of the day?

When you look at your test plots, does it ever reach near the 50 Mbps?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My advertised speed from AT&T is 45 Mbps and I typically download at about 35. I enabled multithreading and it more than doubled my speed (from 15 Mbps).

That's on your smart TV, right? Typically when we see results like that on a computer we suggest TCP Optimizer. Optimizing the TCP and MTU settings will often bring the single thread score up to the multithread result level. You may not be able to change these settings on your TV, I would almost bet that you wouldn't be able to.

Sometimes if the drive performance is lacking single thread tests here will suffer.

Here's results from a Macbook.  The first 9 results were taken with a failing mechanical HDD.  The last 4 stable results were taken after the HDD was swapped for a SSD.

post-2-0-55689000-1420417582_thumb.png

In hindsight I should have done some multithread tests to show you that multithread is usually unaffected in this scenario.  But I didn't know I'd be sharing the results at the time... I just wanted to quickly fix my friends laptop.  I could tell just by how the first few tests felt while they ran that it was the hard drive holding it back, plus I had already diagnosed it with multithread test comparison a month prior.  Did a swap for SSD, rebooted and instantly 90 Mbps ... over and over again.  Everything ran better by the way... I just tested it through the Internet and TMN.  ... Note: if I only had 15 Mbps Internet I wouldn't have been able to see the issue.  It's only at extreme speed that you can start using TMN for purposes beyond what I originally intended it to be used for.

It's not always the Internet connection and ISPs fault.  Hardware can hold you back too.  TestMy.net is not just a bandwidth test... it started as a bandwidth test but at higher speeds we've found it does much more.

Those results (from a TV on your connection type) look good to me.  That's a comfortable speed to surf at.  It would be better if both types tested at 35+ but I wouldn't get too hung up on it either.  That's not a bad performance.  It may be held back by the speed of the TV's memory... why things like that only affect my classic test, I don't know.. they just do. But now, when you get your next tv... you'll know how to benchmark the difference.   :wink:

CA3LE, I agree that the limiting factor is RAM. My brand new, "top-of-the line" Samsung smart TV is saddled with a paltry 1.05 GB of RAM and runs slowww on "single" thread, while my home-built desktop monster has 24  Gigs and does better, but about the same with multithreading enabled.

• 2 weeks later...

That's on your smart TV, right? Typically when we see results like that on a computer we suggest TCP Optimizer. Optimizing the TCP and MTU settings will often bring the single thread score up to the multithread result level. You may not be able to change these settings on your TV, I would almost bet that you wouldn't be able to.

Actually, since you may gain root and install busybox on a Smart Tv.. it should be possible.

I wish I could :) Only thing "smart" about my TV is my laptop plugs into it. Best resource for such would be XDA Dev though.

Mine too.  A friend of mine paid over $2000 for a 55" 3D 'LED' smart TV (LED, lol... LED backlighting is not truly LED... tricky advertising), not too long ago.  I think they're kicking themselves now.  They never use 3D and seriously a $50-$100 device plugged in can do a better job for everything else.  

Last year I got a 60" 600 Hz plasma, stupid TV -- $800.  It's larger, has all around deeper picture, nearly 3X faster refresh rate, doesn't have rainbow light reflections and odd 'soap opera' feeling I see on their TV sometimes...  without a doubt I would take the cheaper plasma.  All day, every day.  Way better tv, costs way less... it's does one thing, but it does it really well.

It's becoming harder and harder to get a straight-up-TV.  What if you don't want or need all the extra crap inside that's just going to be obsolete in 3 years?  What if you have a bunch of devices that already do things better?  Why should you have to pay for a bunch of extra stuff you don't need?!  But we're almost being forced to.  The VAST majority of TV's on the market are 'smart'.  Kinda dumb.

Personally, if I was spending $2000 on a TV I'd want EVERY CENT going into the quality of the display and input/output.  If you want to make it smart get an Apple TV, Chromcast, Roku, computer or whatever... hell, get them all and it will still be cheaper.  Then when those are outdated or something cooler comes along you can just swap out the device and not be stuck with a software controlled monitor running outdated software.  Most people are selected on another source most of the time anyway, using a cable/satellite box or other device.  

That $2000 smart TV my friend purchased... not a single firmware update in two years.  That doesn't sound smart at all.  Shouldn't hold their breath either.  If they gave you updates you might not buy a new one every 4 years. :wink: The incredible shrinking TV replacement cycle (and that article is a couple years old)  -- typically LED and plasma TV's can run for >100,000 hours.  That's 11.5 years if you run it 24/7!  Do the math on your own actual daily use.  Yet on average people get a new TV every 4-5 years.  :tard:  :uglystupid2:

"That's how they getcha! Back in my day... a TV was a TV!"

post-2-0-63467200-1422741256.png

"... we got one channel and it was only broadcast for 35 seconds a day... and WE LOVED IT!!"